A step forward in Gambas!

François Gallo-3

Hello the english community of Gambas,

I ported the Gambas 3 project to Mac OS X 10.6.
it works perfectly and all its components.

Currently, there is only one component that makes problem, it's gb.sdl.
This is a detail that i will fix soon with Laurent Carlier (gb.sdl's author).

Of course, you won't get the gb.v4l component which is exclusively reserved
for the GNU/Linux operating system and very linked to its kernel.

If you use an earlier version (10.5), I can't confirm that the compilation procedure will go fine.
However, Mac OS X 10.7 upcoming and i'll ensure the availability of Gambas on this new
version.

Why is this port ?

Just because my goals are to work on the portability of Gambas.
Thus making the independent development from operating system, and provide
to everyone this wonderful programming language developed by Benoît Minisini.

Gambas is ported only on Mac OS X ?

In the future, as the Benoît's answer, i would like to see it to others operating systems.
I don't stop here ! I currently on the FreeBSD port of Gambas 3.

I develop in Gambas 2, and i've some projects in this version, Will you port Gambas 2 as well ?

my answer is willingly NO. Gambas 3 marks a step forward in its evolution in the core (gambas' kernel)
and its elements around.  (IDE, components...)
I can only encourage you to port yours projects to Gambas 3 :) .

I am interested to port Gambas to other OS, do you work alone ?

Any help is welcome! Free time is sometimes difficult to obtain, so the development is slow.
You can start one on your side. It's a nice training to learn the compilation mechanics and
understand how Gambas is made up ! :) .

Where can i download Gambas3 for Mac OS X ? Did you done a source tarball ?

No links are currently available.
Wait the time i make a package for Mac OS X.

For source codes, it is currently not recommended.
Compiling Gambas on OS X ask to have a good development environment with complex
manipulations. Writing a "HOW-TO" file is in my todo list, but you're advised that it's not
my priority!

Here is a screenshot showing the shrimp.
Story you have water in your mouth ;) .

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/445567GB3OSX.jpg

--
François Gallo

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

Ricardo Díaz Martín
Congratulations! It's a good new. I'll try when mac's package is available.

Regards,
Ricardo Díaz

2011/6/16 François Gallo <[hidden email]>

> Hello the english community of Gambas,
>

> I ported the Gambas 3 project to Mac OS X 10.6.
> it works perfectly and all its components.
>
> Currently, there is only one component that makes problem, it's gb.sdl.
> This is a detail that i will fix soon with Laurent Carlier (gb.sdl's
> author).
>
> Of course, you won't get the gb.v4l component which is exclusively reserved
> for the GNU/Linux operating system and very linked to its kernel.
>
> If you use an earlier version (10.5), I can't confirm that the compilation
> procedure will go fine.
> However, Mac OS X 10.7 upcoming and i'll ensure the availability of Gambas
> on this new
> version.
>

> Why is this port ?
>
> Just because my goals are to work on the portability of Gambas.
> Thus making the independent development from operating system, and provide
> to everyone this wonderful programming language developed by Benoît
> Minisini.
>

> Gambas is ported only on Mac OS X ?
>
> In the future, as the Benoît's answer, i would like to see it to others
> operating systems.
> I don't stop here ! I currently on the FreeBSD port of Gambas 3.
>

> I develop in Gambas 2, and i've some projects in this version, Will you
> port Gambas 2 as well ?
>
> my answer is willingly NO. Gambas 3 marks a step forward in its evolution
> in the core (gambas' kernel)
> and its elements around.  (IDE, components...)
> I can only encourage you to port yours projects to Gambas 3 :) .
>

> I am interested to port Gambas to other OS, do you work alone ?
>
> Any help is welcome! Free time is sometimes difficult to obtain, so the
> development is slow.
> You can start one on your side. It's a nice training to learn the
> compilation mechanics and
> understand how Gambas is made up ! :) .
>

> Where can i download Gambas3 for Mac OS X ? Did you done a source tarball ?
>
> No links are currently available.
> Wait the time i make a package for Mac OS X.
>
> For source codes, it is currently not recommended.
> Compiling Gambas on OS X ask to have a good development environment with
> complex
> manipulations. Writing a "HOW-TO" file is in my todo list, but you're
> advised that it's not
> my priority!
>
> Here is a screenshot showing the shrimp.
> Story you have water in your mouth ;) .
>
> http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/445567GB3OSX.jpg
>

> --
> François Gallo

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

kevinfishburne
On 06/16/2011 07:39 AM, François Gallo wrote:
> Hello the english community of Gambas,
>

> I ported the Gambas 3 project to Mac OS X 10.6.
> it works perfectly and all its components.

That is amazing. Great work. All GAMBAS needs now to take over the world
is a Windows (gag) version, though I'd prefer an Android version myself. ;)

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

John Spikowski-3
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 13:39 +0200, François Gallo wrote:

> Hello the english community of Gambas,
>

> I ported the Gambas 3 project to Mac OS X 10.6.
> it works perfectly and all its components.
>
> Currently, there is only one component that makes problem, it's gb.sdl.
> This is a detail that i will fix soon with Laurent Carlier (gb.sdl's author).
>
> Of course, you won't get the gb.v4l component which is exclusively reserved
> for the GNU/Linux operating system and very linked to its kernel.
>
> If you use an earlier version (10.5), I can't confirm that the compilation procedure will go fine.
> However, Mac OS X 10.7 upcoming and i'll ensure the availability of Gambas on this new
> version.
>

> Why is this port ?
>
> Just because my goals are to work on the portability of Gambas.
> Thus making the independent development from operating system, and provide
> to everyone this wonderful programming language developed by Benoît Minisini.
>

> Gambas is ported only on Mac OS X ?
>
> In the future, as the Benoît's answer, i would like to see it to others operating systems.
> I don't stop here ! I currently on the FreeBSD port of Gambas 3.
>

> I develop in Gambas 2, and i've some projects in this version, Will you port Gambas 2 as well ?
>
> my answer is willingly NO. Gambas 3 marks a step forward in its evolution in the core (gambas' kernel)
> and its elements around.  (IDE, components...)
> I can only encourage you to port yours projects to Gambas 3 :) .
>

> I am interested to port Gambas to other OS, do you work alone ?
>
> Any help is welcome! Free time is sometimes difficult to obtain, so the development is slow.
> You can start one on your side. It's a nice training to learn the compilation mechanics and
> understand how Gambas is made up ! :) .
>

> Where can i download Gambas3 for Mac OS X ? Did you done a source tarball ?
>
> No links are currently available.
> Wait the time i make a package for Mac OS X.
>
> For source codes, it is currently not recommended.
> Compiling Gambas on OS X ask to have a good development environment with complex
> manipulations. Writing a "HOW-TO" file is in my todo list, but you're advised that it's not
> my priority!
>
> Here is a screenshot showing the shrimp.
> Story you have water in your mouth ;) .
>
> http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/445567GB3OSX.jpg
>

> --
> François Gallo

Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of OSX is the future?

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

rterry
On Friday 17 June 2011 10:47:39 John Spikowski wrote:
Do the webcam and movie playing/pdf examples work in the Mac?

Regards

Richard

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 11:27 +1000, richard terry wrote:
> On Friday 17 June 2011 10:47:39 John Spikowski wrote:
> Do the webcam and movie playing/pdf examples work in the Mac?

> *** TYPO ***
> > Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of OSX is the future?

Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of Gambas for OSX in the future?

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

Nicolas Koch
Too bad I sold my MAC. :(

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM, John Spikowski <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 11:27 +1000, richard terry wrote:
> > On Friday 17 June 2011 10:47:39 John Spikowski wrote:
> > Do the webcam and movie playing/pdf examples work in the Mac?
>
> > *** TYPO ***
> > > Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of OSX is the future?
>
> Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of Gambas for OSX in the future?

-Nick

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

John Spikowski-3
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 21:57 -0400, Nicolas Koch wrote:
> Too bad I sold my MAC. :(

I was fortunate to be able to UPGRADED my Windows PC to Linux. ;-)

No regrets!

Re: A step forward in Gambas!

François Gallo-3

> On Friday 17 June 2011 10:47:39 John Spikowski wrote:
> Do the webcam and movie playing/pdf examples work in the Mac?

the movie player example is a frontend to MPlayer program.
So if you're install MPlayer on Mac OS X, it'll work.

The webcam example program uses the gb.v4l component.
As i said, this component is only available on GNU/Linux.

Here is a screenshot to PDF View example program :

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/580990PDFViewerGBOSX.jpg

>> Any chance of a QT Cocoa version of OSX is the future?

I don't know the Quartz server. I'm not a Cocoa developer
and Gambas often uses X11 system function calls.
To hope oneday getting Gambas using Qt/Cocoa on Mac OS X,
we must develop similar code to specific functions of X11.
That's not so easy unfortunately.