About gambas, the word

Fernando Cabral
*Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
the language.*

Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
for gambas, the word:

*From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written text.
Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
Portugal.

Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
"kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
"gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
"gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.

--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: About gambas, the word

Jorge Carrión
It's a joke, I think. Searching for something that contains BAS, from
Basic. Why an animal I don't know. Benoit likes to eat prawns, I soppouse...

😁😁😁

Best Regards

> *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
> the language.*
>
> Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
> for gambas, the word:
>

> *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
> répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
> cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
> Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
> Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
> In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written text.
> Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
> word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
> Portugal.
>
> Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
> "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
> "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
> "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
>
> --
> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: About gambas, the word

Karl Reinl
Am Donnerstag, den 13.07.2017, 10:18 +0200 schrieb Jorge Carrión:

> It's a joke, I think. Searching for something that contains BAS, from
> Basic. Why an animal I don't know. Benoit likes to eat prawns, I soppouse...
>
> 😁😁😁
>
> Best Regards

> > *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
> > the language.*
> >
> > Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
> > for gambas, the word:
> >

> > *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
> > répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
> > cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
> > Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
> > Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
> > In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written text.
> > Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
> > word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
> > Portugal.
> >
> > Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
> > "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
> > "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
> > "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.

There is the old meaning : Gambas Almost Means BASIC!

look here http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html
--
Amicalement

Re: About gambas, the word

> Benoit likes to eat prawns, I soppouse...

ka ka ka ka

>.<  😅

as a post note: GAMBAS acron of that its not basic

> 😁😁😁
>
> Best Regards

> > *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
> > the language.*
> >
> > Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
> > for gambas, the word:
> >

> > *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
> > répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
> > cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
> > Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
> > Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
> > In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written
> text.
> > Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
> > word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
> > Portugal.
> >
> > Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
> > "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
> > "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
> > "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
> >
> > --
> > Fernando Cabral
> > Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> > e-mail: [hidden email]
> > Facebook: [hidden email]
> > Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> > Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> > WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> > Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> > Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> > Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> >
> > Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> > nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: About gambas, the word

Jussi Lahtinen
Many open source projects have animal name or logo. So I guess it's just
old tradition.

Jussi

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Jorge Carrión <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a joke, I think. Searching for something that contains BAS, from
> Basic. Why an animal I don't know. Benoit likes to eat prawns, I
> soppouse...
>
> 😁😁😁
>
> Best Regards

> > *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
> > the language.*
> >
> > Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
> > for gambas, the word:
> >

> > *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
> > répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
> > cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
> > Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
> > Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
> > In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written
> text.
> > Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
> > word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
> > Portugal.
> >
> > Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
> > "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
> > "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
> > "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
> >
> > --
> > Fernando Cabral
> > Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> > e-mail: [hidden email]
> > Facebook: [hidden email]
> > Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> > Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> > WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> > Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> > Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> > Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> >
> > Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> > nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: About gambas, the word

Fabien Bodard-4
> Many open source projects have animal name or logo. So I guess it's just
> old tradition.

In fact the tradition for geek programmers in the unix world was to
find a recurssive acronym.

It means the Name is an acronym that contain the name itself

WINE  = Wine Is Not Emulator

GAMBAS = Gambas Almost Mean BASic

So the logo of something looking a bit to a shrimp was a logical
choice... Well normally shrimps have not claws... but i find it give
an idea of super powerfull shrimp ;-)

> Jussi
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Jorge Carrión <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's a joke, I think. Searching for something that contains BAS, from
>> Basic. Why an animal I don't know. Benoit likes to eat prawns, I
>> soppouse...
>>
>> 😁😁😁
>>
>> Best Regards

>> > *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
>> > the language.*
>> >
>> > Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
>> > for gambas, the word:
>> >

>> > *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
>> > répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
>> > cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
>> > Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
>> > Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
>> > In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written
>> text.
>> > Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
>> > word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
>> > Portugal.
>> >
>> > Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
>> > "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
>> > "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
>> > "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Fernando Cabral
>> > Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>> > e-mail: [hidden email]
>> > Facebook: [hidden email]
>> > Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> > Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>> > WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> > Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>> > Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
>> > Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> >
>> > Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>> > nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: About gambas, the word

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
all of this conversation give so much hungry:

a coup of WINE, with some friet GAMBAS!