Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fernando Cabral
I've browsed the documentation but did not find what I am looking for: a
way do read a html (or rtf) file and display it using some built in method.
Say, something simple like this:

*Public Sub Main()  Dim TextFile As File  Dim RtfText As String  TextFile =
Open "~/Doc.rtf" For Read  Line Input #TextFile, RtfText
FMain.LoadText(RtfFile)  *' Here is the rub!

*  FMain.ShowmodalEnd*

Regards

- fernando
--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
hi fernando,, u must read as stream.. see it:

here a example minimal: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/lineinput

but i think that what do you want its "understand" the file format! right?

due i guess rtf files have some "rich"text inside.. something in some
binary/specific non ascii/plain text ...

> I've browsed the documentation but did not find what I am looking for: a
> way do read a html (or rtf) file and display it using some built in method.
> Say, something simple like this:
>

> *Public Sub Main()  Dim TextFile As File  Dim RtfText As String  TextFile =
> Open "~/Doc.rtf" For Read  Line Input #TextFile, RtfText
> FMain.LoadText(RtfFile)  *' Here is the rub!
>
> *  FMain.ShowmodalEnd*
>
> Regards
>
> - fernando
> --
> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fernando Cabral
No, Lenz, reading the file is not te issue. This is easy and can be done
with several different methods.
What I am looking for is a way to render the html file (or rtf file). So, I
want to read the file and display its contents.
Displaying (rendering the html) is the issue.

To make it more concrete. Imagine there is a help file in html. When the
user clicks on the proper button, I'll read it
and display it so the user can see the document. I want a method to display
it rendered as it would be rendered in a browser.

The editor might be able to do it. But then, I can't find instructions on
how to create it, load and display de text.

I have also found two lines of code that hint on the way to do it, but I
can not learn enough from them. Says the guy:

Then in Gambas2 I have a form with Textedit1  and I add:
textedit1.text=file.load("filename.html")  in my form_open sub

I would guess textedit1.text is in a form that, when displayed, will render
the file correctly.
But then again, I can't find the rest of the code.

Thank you.

- fernando

> hi fernando,, u must read as stream.. see it:
>
> here a example minimal: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/lineinput
>
> but i think that what do you want its "understand" the file format! right?
>
> due i guess rtf files have some "rich"text inside.. something in some
> binary/specific non ascii/plain text ...
>
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> I've browsed the documentation but did not find what I am looking for: a
>> way do read a html (or rtf) file and display it using some built in
>> method.
>> Say, something simple like this:
>>

>> *Public Sub Main()  Dim TextFile As File  Dim RtfText As String  TextFile
>> =
>> Open "~/Doc.rtf" For Read  Line Input #TextFile, RtfText
>> FMain.LoadText(RtfFile)  *' Here is the rub!
>>
>> *  FMain.ShowmodalEnd*
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> - fernando
>> --
>> Fernando Cabral
>> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>> e-mail <http://twitter.com/fjcabrale-mail>: [hidden email]
>> Facebook: [hidden email]
>> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <(37)%2099988-8868>
>> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <(37)%2099988-8868>
>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183 <(37)%203521-2183>
>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <(37)%2099988-8868>
>>
>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Gianluigi
You can use WebView (gb.gui.qt.webkit)

Gianluigi

> [...]
> >> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> >> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183 <(37)%203521-2183>
> >> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <(37)%2099988-8868>
> >>
> >> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> >> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Thank you Gianluigi. It seems there more than one way to skin this cat.
I believe the problem has to do with my ignorance concerning Gambas.
I have just found a DocumentView that will probably work too.
Since I have a full example of this usage, I'll probably  try it first.

Thank you.

- fernando

> [...]

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

> No, Lenz, reading the file is not te issue. This is easy and can be done
> with several different methods.
> What I am looking for is a way to render the html file (or rtf file). So,
> I want to read the file and display its contents.
> Displaying (rendering the html) is the issue.

as i suspect..

in hole truh, really you have only two ways... no many ways as do you
think..

... one using external interpreter (i mean a embebed http program such like
http://www.acme.com/software/mini_httpd ) and embebing in the gambas
program with embed control

... the other its by your own interpreting either using gb.qt.webkit or
parsing and analizing by your own...

i prefer the firs due all the hard work to interprete the html markup are
"let to expert".. and not hadle by own.. due will be a extra work..

> [...]
>>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183 <(37)%203521-2183>
>>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <(37)%2099988-8868>
>>>
>>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

To see how in a browser, webview is better, you have a WebBrowse sample in
farm example.

Gianluigi

> [...]
> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <+55%2037%2099988-8868>
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <+55%2037%2099988-8868>
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183 <+55%2037%203521-2183>
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <+55%2037%2099988-8868>
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

> As to this, I think you still did not understand what I needed, which is
> to render a HTML or RTF file. This has nothing to do with HTTPD or HTTP.
> The RTF and HTLM file are local file. I open them and them I wanted do

jajaj Fernando.. the method i described its the same you do.. but you using
pdf instead html

just invoked a "own" localhost running inside project, same behaviour are
used by the gambas IDE when you run a WEB project..

>> i prefer the firs due all the hard work to interprete the html markup are
>> "let to expert".. and not hadle by own.. due will be a extra work..
>>

> Yep. That's why  I was searching for some built in method to do it.

*     Try $hPdf.Open("pdfFIle.pdf")*

> *     DocumentView1.Count = $hPdf.Count     DocumentView1.Refresh*

same as for html..  but changing the open call by a httpd run process in
private port and send a exec to browser to open the local running httpd
"own" webserver

the gambas ide do the same for web projects.. rund their own embebed http
web server and start a browser..

instead use a embebed http webserver you can use the gb.httpd component
that does/usage are the same..

> This solves this issue for good, althou I still want to know how to do the
> same thing with a HTML file.

as i described.. if you want a example run a new web gambas project, and in
a console see the process with ps and its basically that i described...

>>> To make it more concrete. Imagine there is a help file in html. When the
>>> user clicks on the proper button, I'll read it
>>> and display it so the user can see the document. I want a method to
>>> display it rendered as it would be rendered in a browser.
>>>
>>> The editor might be able to do it. But then, I can't find instructions
>>> on how to create it, load and display de text.
>>>
>>> I have also found two lines of code that hint on the way to do it, but I
>>> can not learn enough from them. Says the guy:
>>>
>>> Then in Gambas2 I have a form with Textedit1  and I add:
>>> textedit1.text=file.load("filename.html")  in my form_open sub
>>>
>>> I would guess textedit1.text is in a form that, when displayed, will
>>> render the file correctly.
>>> But then again, I can't find the rest of the code.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> - fernando

>>> --
>>> Fernando Cabral
>>> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>>> e-mail: [hidden email]
>>> Facebook: [hidden email]
>>> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <%2837%29%2099988-8868>
>>> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>>> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <%2837%29%2099988-8868>
>>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183 <%2837%29%203521-2183>
>>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868 <%2837%29%2099988-8868>
>>>
>>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.
>>>

> --
> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fabien Bodard-4
Well DocumentView is just a viewer i've done for gb.report. In fact
it's abilities is to manages different Image in a paging style layout.

So this tool is good for display Documents such as pdf or reports. But
for those documents the libs pdf and report have a .Draw method that
render the image in the given DrawingArea or image container.

For you job take a look in the gambas ide in the HelpView.class. It
inherit webview and give the hability to manage personnal url's. (in
this case "gambas://") by cheating with the error link event.

Take a look :-). Even we generate web page on the fly for the help
embedded in the code source.

>> As to this, I think you still did not understand what I needed, which is
>> to render a HTML or RTF file. This has nothing to do with HTTPD or HTTP.
>> The RTF and HTLM file are local file. I open them and them I wanted do
>> display them. No protocols involved.
>>
> jajaj Fernando.. the method i described its the same you do.. but you using
> pdf instead html
>
> just invoked a "own" localhost running inside project, same behaviour are
> used by the gambas IDE when you run a WEB project..
>

>>> i prefer the firs due all the hard work to interprete the html markup are
>>> "let to expert".. and not hadle by own.. due will be a extra work..
>>>

>> Yep. That's why  I was searching for some built in method to do it.
>>
> *     Try $hPdf.Open("pdfFIle.pdf")*
>>

>> *     DocumentView1.Count = $hPdf.Count     DocumentView1.Refresh*
>>
> same as for html..  but changing the open call by a httpd run process in
> private port and send a exec to browser to open the local running httpd
> "own" webserver
>
> the gambas ide do the same for web projects.. rund their own embebed http
> web server and start a browser..
>
> instead use a embebed http webserver you can use the gb.httpd component
> that does/usage are the same..
>

>> This solves this issue for good, althou I still want to know how to do the
>> same thing with a HTML file.
>>
> as i described.. if you want a example run a new web gambas project, and in
> a console see the process with ps and its basically that i described...

>> --
>> Fernando Cabral
>> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>> e-mail: [hidden email]
>> Facebook: [hidden email]
>> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>>
>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fernando Cabral

> Well DocumentView is just a viewer i've done for gb.report. In fact
> it's abilities is to manages different Image in a paging style layout.

Starting with you example I have been able to do what I needed. I just
deleted the part that allows the user
to select a PDF file. Instead I put a path/filename as a constant.

Only problem is that I have not found how to change font size. Even so, it
delivers what I needed.

Thank you.

- fernando

> [...]
> >> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

> Fabien Bodard

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

> Lentz, it is not a HTTPD project. It is not a web project. I need no
> webserver (and I don't want one). I just want to display some nicely
> formatted text. HTML will do it; RTF will do

its does not matter, ... with pdf works due its the same idea.. that using
pdf..

but as Fabien said.. may change in the future.. gbr3 -http as html does
not... i'll explain more easy.. using your solution:

rtf-text -> pdf -> viewer(embebed or not)

in my words its the same..

trf-text -> thml -> mini-httpd(embebed)

how do you think how ide shows to you the inline help ?  gambas has a http
web server that runs only when view the little help and stop it..

well, pdf its good too...

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Tobias Boege-2
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:

> > Lentz, it is not a HTTPD project. It is not a web project. I need no
> > webserver (and I don't want one). I just want to display some nicely
> > formatted text. HTML will do it; RTF will do
> >

> its does not matter, ... with pdf works due its the same idea.. that using
> pdf..
>

> but as Fabien said.. may change in the future.. gbr3 -http as html does
> not... i'll explain more easy.. using your solution:
>
> rtf-text -> pdf -> viewer(embebed or not)
>
> in my words its the same..
>
> trf-text -> thml -> mini-httpd(embebed)
>
> how do you think how ide shows to you the inline help ?  gambas has a http
> web server that runs only when view the little help and stop it..

No, the IDE does *not* use the built-in HTTP server. Delivering HTML
documents via HTTP is something entirely different from rendering them.
The IDE uses gb.gui.qt.webkit's WebView to display help pages. It doesn't
need an HTTP server. Your web browser is not a web server either.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

> No, the IDE does *not* use the built-in HTTP server. Delivering HTML
> documents via HTTP is something entirely different from rendering them.
> The IDE uses gb.gui.qt.webkit's WebView to display help pages. It doesn't
> need an HTTP server. Your web browser is not a web server either.

yeah,, was a way to explain..

in any case, the pdf way was a good idea, due depend on qt.webkit its more
and more havy on those days,...

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fabien Bodard-4
Maybe you can send me a source. So i can take an eyes.

>> Well DocumentView is just a viewer i've done for gb.report. In fact
>> it's abilities is to manages different Image in a paging style layout.
>>

> Starting with you example I have been able to do what I needed. I just
> deleted the part that allows the user
> to select a PDF file. Instead I put a path/filename as a constant.
>
> Only problem is that I have not found how to change font size. Even so, it
> delivers what I needed.
>
> Thank you.
>
> - fernando
>

>> So this tool is good for display Documents such as pdf or reports. But
>> for those documents the libs pdf and report have a .Draw method that
>> render the image in the given DrawingArea or image container.
>>
>> For you job take a look in the gambas ide in the HelpView.class. It
>> inherit webview and give the hability to manage personnal url's. (in
>> this case "gambas://") by cheating with the error link event.
>>
>> Take a look :-). Even we generate web page on the fly for the help
>> embedded in the code source.

>> >:

>> > jajaj Fernando.. the method i described its the same you do.. but you
>> using
>> > pdf instead html
>> >
>> > just invoked a "own" localhost running inside project, same behaviour are
>> > used by the gambas IDE when you run a WEB project..

>> are

>> > *     Try $hPdf.Open("pdfFIle.pdf")*

>> > same as for html..  but changing the open call by a httpd run process in
>> > private port and send a exec to browser to open the local running httpd
>> > "own" webserver
>> >
>> > the gambas ide do the same for web projects.. rund their own embebed http
>> > web server and start a browser..
>> >
>> > instead use a embebed http webserver you can use the gb.httpd component
>> > that does/usage are the same..

>> the
>> >>
>> > as i described.. if you want a example run a new web gambas project, and
>> in
>> > a console see the process with ps and its basically that i described...

>> the

>> but I

>> >:

>> for:

>> --
>> Fabien Bodard

> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Any (easy) way to render RTF or HTML with gambas?

Fernando Cabral
Sure, Fabien, here it is. Note that basically, I took your program and
deleted what I didn' t need.
I didn't need, for instance, a file pickup list -- That's because I know
beforehand which file I want to display.

I could put to good use some niceties like a zooming button, but I can do
without them.

*Private $hPdf As New PdfDocumentPublic Sub Form_Open()  Me.Center  Try
$hPdf.Open("/home/fernando/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/EmpregoDoHífen.pdf")
If Error Then      Message.Error("Unable to open the file : " &
"/home/fernando/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/EmpregoDoHifen.pdf")
Return    Endif  DocumentView1.Count = $hPdf.Count
DocumentView1.RefreshEndPublic Sub DocumentView1_Layout(Page As Integer)
DocumentView1.Layout.Width = $hPdf[Page + 1].Width + 150
DocumentView1.Layout.Height = $hPdf[Page + 1].Height + 150EndPublic Sub
DocumentView1_Draw(Page As Integer, Width As Integer, Height As Integer)
Paint.DrawImage($hPdf[Page + 1].Image, 0, 0, Paint.Width,
Paint.Height)EndPublic Sub Button2_Click()  Me.CloseEnd*