ComboBox as a SearchBox?

Matti
My idea was: entering the beginning of a word in a ComboBox, the list should display all the possible matches, then either select from the list or narrow the search by entering more letters.
This works perfect - but when I fill the list with the matches, my search string (= ComboBox.Text) is overridden with the first result of the search. So there is no chance of searching farther.

Ok, I have built the same now with a TextBox to search and a ListBox to show the results, but I still wonder why. It would be far more elegant...

Re: ComboBox as a SearchBox?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
this are in a gambas web project or gambas desktop project?

i search for something similar .. how do you doing..

my idea was using json.. but on desktop can be a pain!

for search, in the input box, made a query with json to a collection with
preloaded data from database

> My idea was: entering the beginning of a word in a ComboBox, the list
> should display all the possible matches, then either select from the list
> or narrow the search by entering more letters.
> This works perfect - but when I fill the list with the matches, my search
> string (= ComboBox.Text) is overridden with the first result of the search.
> So there is no chance of searching farther.
>
> Ok, I have built the same now with a TextBox to search and a ListBox to
> show the results, but I still wonder why. It would be far more elegant...

Re: ComboBox as a SearchBox?

Rolf-Werner Eilert-2
Am 18.05.2017 20:18, schrieb Matti:
> My idea was: entering the beginning of a word in a ComboBox, the list should display all the possible matches, then either select from the list or narrow the search by entering more letters.
> This works perfect - but when I fill the list with the matches, my search string (= ComboBox.Text) is overridden with the first result of the search. So there is no chance of searching farther.
>
> Ok, I have built the same now with a TextBox to search and a ListBox to show the results, but I still wonder why. It would be far more elegant...

Just a vague idea - have you tried leaving the first entry out or blank
when you fill the list?

Regards
Rolf

Re: ComboBox as a SearchBox?

Matti
Thanks, Christof. This looks good.
I'll have a look at it.
Matti

Am 19.05.2017 um 08:59 schrieb Christof Thalhofer:

> Hello Matti,
>
> Am 18.05.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Matti:
>> My idea was: entering the beginning of a word in a ComboBox, the list should display all the possible matches, then either select from the list or narrow the search by entering more letters.
>> This works perfect - but when I fill the list with the matches, my search string (= ComboBox.Text) is overridden with the first result of the search. So there is no chance of searching farther.
>>
>> Ok, I have built the same now with a TextBox to search and a ListBox to show the results, but I still wonder why. It would be far more elegant...
> You may have a look here:
>
> https://github.com/Deganius/gb.deg.form
>

> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

Re: ComboBox as a SearchBox?

Matti
Thanks, Rolf.
Good idea. Now, I have set the search string on first position of the list.
But something ist still wrong - I'll investigate.
Matti

Am 19.05.2017 um 08:47 schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert:

> Am 18.05.2017 20:18, schrieb Matti:
>> My idea was: entering the beginning of a word in a ComboBox, the list should display all the possible matches, then either select from the list or narrow the search by entering more letters.
>> This works perfect - but when I fill the list with the matches, my search string (= ComboBox.Text) is overridden with the first result of the search. So there is no chance of searching farther.
>>
>> Ok, I have built the same now with a TextBox to search and a ListBox to show the results, but I still wonder why. It would be far more elegant...
>
> Just a vague idea - have you tried leaving the first entry out or blank
> when you fill the list?
>
> Regards
> Rolf

Re: ComboBox as a SearchBox?

Fabien Bodard-4
you can built something with a textbox a drawing area for drawing the
but with the current style and a listbox in a popuped window

you can also use the completion class.