Cygwin patch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cygwin patch

Bastian Germann
Hi!

I saw someone included my patch in 3.9.0. Thanks for that. Here are
two more Cygwin patches.
Now I am able to build every package except the gb-v4l (which is
deprecated anyway) and gb-inotify package, which is dependent on Linux
kernel and required for the IDE unfortunately. I am currently working
on a cygport.

To address the inotify issue: Can I just patch the requirement
definitions and calls to that package out of the IDE or does it
implement a feature that is absolutely necessary? Then I would use
fswatch [0] or Qt's QFileSystemWatcher to implement an alternative
component. Actually in the Todo of gb-inotify there are two
alternative (outdated?) libs listed that the author wants to have a
look at. How does the FreeBSD port handle the file watching?

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
Bastian

[0] http://emcrisostomo.github.io/fswatch
[1] http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfilesystemwatcher.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
_______________________________________________
Gambas-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-devel

gambas3-x11-pkgconfig.patch (832 bytes) Download Attachment
gambas3-xml-memrchr.patch (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cygwin patch

Tobias Boege-2
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bastian Germann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I saw someone included my patch in 3.9.0. Thanks for that. Here are
> two more Cygwin patches.
> Now I am able to build every package except the gb-v4l (which is
> deprecated anyway) and gb-inotify package, which is dependent on Linux
> kernel and required for the IDE unfortunately. I am currently working
> on a cygport.
>
> To address the inotify issue: Can I just patch the requirement
> definitions and calls to that package out of the IDE or does it
> implement a feature that is absolutely necessary? Then I would use
> fswatch [0] or Qt's QFileSystemWatcher to implement an alternative
> component. Actually in the Todo of gb-inotify there are two
> alternative (outdated?) libs listed that the author wants to have a
> look at. How does the FreeBSD port handle the file watching?
>
> What are your thoughts on this?
>

I'm the author and I myself don't really plan to extend the component in
the foreseeable future. Portable file system monitoring would come in the
form of a new component anyway. The TODO at this time is only a reminder
where to start should I have some excess time in the future.

I didn't even know the IDE used gb.inotify. There is, AFAICS, no code in
the IDE that uses gb.inotify. I think you can just remove the component
dependency from the .project file and be done with it. I suspect the
reason it is added by default is that the FileView and DirView classes
in gb.form, which are used in the IDE, detect whether gb.inotify is loaded
and if so, behave more responsively by using the component.

If that's the whole reason the issue might even be fixed in the main
repository by removing the explicit dependency and adding a

  Try Component.Load("gb.inotify")

or something to the start procedure of the IDE. That would work in all
cases.

Regards,
Tobi

--
"There's an old saying: Don't change anything... ever!" -- Mr. Monk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
_______________________________________________
Gambas-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cygwin patch

Benoît Minisini
Le 12/09/2016 à 21:09, Tobias Boege a écrit :

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bastian Germann wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I saw someone included my patch in 3.9.0. Thanks for that. Here are
>> two more Cygwin patches.
>> Now I am able to build every package except the gb-v4l (which is
>> deprecated anyway) and gb-inotify package, which is dependent on Linux
>> kernel and required for the IDE unfortunately. I am currently working
>> on a cygport.
>>
>> To address the inotify issue: Can I just patch the requirement
>> definitions and calls to that package out of the IDE or does it
>> implement a feature that is absolutely necessary? Then I would use
>> fswatch [0] or Qt's QFileSystemWatcher to implement an alternative
>> component. Actually in the Todo of gb-inotify there are two
>> alternative (outdated?) libs listed that the author wants to have a
>> look at. How does the FreeBSD port handle the file watching?
>>
>> What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>
> I'm the author and I myself don't really plan to extend the component in
> the foreseeable future. Portable file system monitoring would come in the
> form of a new component anyway. The TODO at this time is only a reminder
> where to start should I have some excess time in the future.
>
> I didn't even know the IDE used gb.inotify. There is, AFAICS, no code in
> the IDE that uses gb.inotify. I think you can just remove the component
> dependency from the .project file and be done with it. I suspect the
> reason it is added by default is that the FileView and DirView classes
> in gb.form, which are used in the IDE, detect whether gb.inotify is loaded
> and if so, behave more responsively by using the component.
>
> If that's the whole reason the issue might even be fixed in the main
> repository by removing the explicit dependency and adding a
>
>   Try Component.Load("gb.inotify")
>
> or something to the start procedure of the IDE. That would work in all
> cases.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi
>

I confirm that 'gb.inotify' is optional and, of course, I should have
done what Tobias suggests instead of explicitely check the component.

Some people still do not use Linux. :-)

--
Benoît Minisini

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
_______________________________________________
Gambas-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cygwin patch

Fabien Bodard-4
In reply to this post by Bastian Germann
2016-09-12 19:55 GMT+02:00 Bastian Germann <[hidden email]>:
> Hi!
>
> I saw someone included my patch in 3.9.0. Thanks for that. Here are
> two more Cygwin patches.
> Now I am able to build every package except the gb-v4l (which is
> deprecated anyway) and gb-inotify package


Cool :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
_______________________________________________
Gambas-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cygwin patch

François Revol
In reply to this post by Benoît Minisini
On 12/09/2016 21:16, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> I confirm that 'gb.inotify' is optional and, of course, I should have
> done what Tobias suggests instead of explicitely check the component.
>
> Some people still do not use Linux. :-)
>

Indeed, and we don't inotify in Haiku but the BeOS API which predates it
by a decade at least...

I'm not sure node monitoring is actually used in our Qt port yet though...

François.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
_______________________________________________
Gambas-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-devel