Gambas-Documentation

Hans Lehmann
A warm Hello to all friends of the Gambas programming language,

many years ago users complained in various Gambas forum posts about the
lack of books about Gambas in the German language. I liked Gambas from
the beginning. Its conception allows people, like myself, switching over
from other environments as well as ambitioned programmers to work on a
range of different tasks in a single language. This motivated me as early
as 2008 to design a concept for a Gambas book. For a few years now this
book is made available online at www.gambas-buch.de. Many chapters have
already been published. With great effort, the team of authors pursues
the goal to produce a good description of the components and classes of
Gambas and to demonstrate their use in example projects. Every chapter
and its parts are also offered as a PDF file, and archives of the tested
demonstration projects are available for download.

However, our work on the online book is hampered increasingly because some
components and their classes have only fragmentary documentation in the
Gambas wiki, or none at all. By tolerating this condition, the Gambas
developers throw away opportunities for newcomers to discover and use
Gambas. A class or component should, in my opinion, only be released after
its documentation is complete and correct and put on the Gambas wiki.
Do the developers really believe that a potential Gambas user will read
all the source code to understand how the properties, methods and events
work? (I, for one, have never learned C.) To me, for example, it is clear
after over 44 years as a grammar school teacher -- among others for
Computer Science -- that nothing motivates more than success und success
has to be prepared.

This brings us to the crucial point with Gambas: all efforts should
currently
be directed towards quickly closing the gaps and flaws in the documentation!
One only learns a language well by speaking it -- and this is only possible
with a good dictionary! Such an excellent programming language as Gambas
should enjoy a thorough documentation of the existing components and classes
with small projects or code snippets which show the essential properties
and methods in action. If you have a look at the current state of the
documentation, you will see that it is exceedingly incomplete. Do the
developers seriously think that the Gambas programmers can read in a crystal
ball if all that's known about a class is the names of its properties,
methods and events?

The software farm with its projects does not replace a systematic treatment
of the basics of the language. The online book wanted to provide just that
for the German-speaking Gambas programmers, and those who want to be! If
none or only insufficient information about the properties, methods and
events of a Gambas class is available, then a newbie or a Gambas programmer,
who wants to use this class, will resign and turn to other languages.

My wish is essentially just that the developers do their job until the end
and provide the documentation for their classes, because only then can their
valuable work be truly useful. Only then can Gambas finally make progress.

Honsek
www.gambas-buch.de

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Fernando Cabral
Agreed, Honsek. I am a newcomer, I liked Gambas at first sight, but I have
had a hard time finding proper documentation and  good examples on how-to.

- fernando

> [...]
> crystal
> ball if all that's known about a class is the names of its properties,
> methods and events?
>
> The software farm with its projects does not replace a systematic treatment
> of the basics of the language. The online book wanted to provide just that
> for the German-speaking Gambas programmers, and those who want to be! If
> none or only insufficient information about the properties, methods and
> events of a Gambas class is available, then a newbie or a Gambas
> programmer,
> who wants to use this class, will resign and turn to other languages.
>
> My wish is essentially just that the developers do their job until the end
> and provide the documentation for their classes, because only then can
> their
> valuable work be truly useful. Only then can Gambas finally make progress.

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Gambas-Documentation

gambas-user mailing list
Le 06/06/2017 à 12:53, Hans Lehmann a écrit :

> [...]
> crystal
> ball if all that's known about a class is the names of its properties,
> methods and events?
>
> The software farm with its projects does not replace a systematic treatment
> of the basics of the language. The online book wanted to provide just that
> for the German-speaking Gambas programmers, and those who want to be! If
> none or only insufficient information about the properties, methods and
> events of a Gambas class is available, then a newbie or a Gambas
> programmer,
> who wants to use this class, will resign and turn to other languages.
>
> My wish is essentially just that the developers do their job until the end
> and provide the documentation for their classes, because only then can
> their
> valuable work be truly useful. Only then can Gambas finally make progress.

You are right, it's just that time is missing on my side, because of
many other activities.

I plan to release Gambas 3.10 soon, and document the gb.web.form
component that allows to make web applications a bit like GUI applications.

And of course filling the other missing entries in the documentation on
the components I made.

Re: Gambas-Documentation

> A warm Hello to all friends of the Gambas programming language,
>
> many years ago users complained in various Gambas forum posts about the
> lack of books about Gambas in the German language. I liked Gambas from
> the beginning. Its conception allows people, like myself, switching over
> from other environments as well as ambitioned programmers to work on a
> range of different tasks in a single language. This motivated me as early
> as 2008 to design a concept for a Gambas book. For a few years now this
> book is made available online at www.gambas-buch.de. Many chapters have
> already been published. With great effort, the team of authors pursues
> the goal to produce a good description of the components and classes of
> Gambas and to demonstrate their use in example projects. Every chapter
> and its parts are also offered as a PDF file, and archives of the tested
> demonstration projects are available for download.

the gambas buch its a great book, the problem its that its only in German..
many articles/chapers i read in that book, that-s why i made an effor this
weekend
and produce te lasted ODBC documentation examples in gambas wiki

that problem i anunce some oportunities before, but benoit mention that
made this only for hobie
its a great effort the components and languaje made by gambas developers..
for spanish users there's the jsbsan blog .. but hangs my web browser due
many anuncies

As hans mentions, prawns have evolved and is beyond simple pastime, many
projects i had to perform in php or java due to the urgency of having them
"fast", losing the opportunity to develop in this confortable and flexible
programing languaje called gambas ...

We are clear that the learning curve is fast and easy to program, but the
type of responses such as "it is the programmer's job" or assumes that "the
programmer must know how to program" distances the prospects, and does not
allow the development Of a business model Cost-effective based on low
maintenance and fast obtaining of manpowers

Currently taking the ODBC component as example, i note many lack of
documentation.. complete in this lasted days by me, the first ODBC
component documentation was very poor and inconsistent with the component
behaviour.. and as last, the compoent ntil version 3.8.1 was in very bad
state... and all the documentation assumed that all the features of the
mysql db componente are same for the rest.. and that's not true.. this
limit the gambas to a mysql database for novice users... due documentation
does not offer how to solve that situations...

> However, our work on the online book is hampered increasingly because some
> components and their classes have only fragmentary documentation in the
> Gambas wiki, or none at all. By tolerating this condition, the Gambas
> developers throw away opportunities for newcomers to discover and use
> Gambas. A class or component should, in my opinion, only be released after
> its documentation is complete and correct and put on the Gambas wiki.
> Do the developers really believe that a potential Gambas user will read
> all the source code to understand how the properties, methods and events
> work? (I, for one, have never learned C.) To me, for example, it is clear
> after over 44 years as a grammar school teacher -- among others for
> Computer Science -- that nothing motivates more than success und success
> has to be prepared.

Hi hans, in this way, there's a problem.. many developers need the
component xyz due newer develop needs..

The real solution its that the documentation must be generated from the
component code.. like JAva does..

later then must be complete in the gambas wiki.. WITH EXAMPLES, i mean the
code documentations must not have example, only teoric implementations, and
later any enhanchement must be done in the generated gambas wiki page,
currently this behaviour seems are, but need more improvement...

> This brings us to the crucial point with Gambas: all efforts should
> currently
> be directed towards quickly closing the gaps and flaws in the
> documentation!
> One only learns a language well by speaking it -- and this is only possible
> with a good dictionary! Such an excellent programming language as Gambas
> should enjoy a thorough documentation of the existing components and
> classes
> with small projects or code snippets which show the essential properties
> and methods in action. If you have a look at the current state of the
> documentation, you will see that it is exceedingly incomplete. Do the
> developers seriously think that the Gambas programmers can read in a
> crystal
> ball if all that's known about a class is the names of its properties,
> methods and events?
>
> The software farm with its projects does not replace a systematic treatment
> of the basics of the language. The online book wanted to provide just that
> for the German-speaking Gambas programmers, and those who want to be! If
> none or only insufficient information about the properties, methods and
> events of a Gambas class is available, then a newbie or a Gambas
> programmer,
> who wants to use this class, will resign and turn to other languages.

As i mention, We are clear that the learning curve is fast and easy to
program, but the type of responses such as "it is the programmer's job" or
assumes that "the programmer must know how to program" distances the
prospects, and does not allow the development Of a business model
Cost-effective based on low maintenance and fast obtaining of manpowers

Take a comparation of the today ODBC example documentation vs the old firts
ODBC documentation, or more easy.. lest compare the Mysql how to
documentatin vs the ODBC how to documentation>

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/odbcdatabase
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/database

> My wish is essentially just that the developers do their job until the end
> and provide the documentation for their classes, because only then can
> their
> valuable work be truly useful. Only then can Gambas finally make progress.
>
> Honsek
> www.gambas-buch.de

umm.. gambas/buch need to be translated... its a good work but its only
german...

Re: Gambas-Documentation

hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance

currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts but
i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write english..
so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully

[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> events of a Gambas class is available, then a newbie or a Gambas
>> programmer,
>> who wants to use this class, will resign and turn to other languages.
>>
>> My wish is essentially just that the developers do their job until the end
>> and provide the documentation for their classes, because only then can
>> their
>> valuable work be truly useful. Only then can Gambas finally make progress.
>>
>> Honsek
>> www.gambas-buch.de
>>

> You are right, it's just that time is missing on my side, because of many
> other activities.
>
> I plan to release Gambas 3.10 soon, and document the gb.web.form component
> that allows to make web applications a bit like GUI applications.
>
> And of course filling the other missing entries in the documentation on

Re: Gambas-Documentation

gambas-user mailing list
Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
> hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
> wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
>
> currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts
> but i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write
> english.. so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully

I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
some help...

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Dimitris Anogiatis
While Google translate and other online transaction tools are not perfect
we could try a few of them to see which combination of such tools makes
more sense for both the English side and the non-English side.

Keep in mind that the way we put words to our thoughts is also affected​ by
different patterns and experiences in all our lives as well as mood and
stress levels at the time of asking for info or documenting a piece of
code. Plus not all words have a direct equivalent in every language. So we
also have to have a balance between specifics and verbosity.

That's my 2 cents worth of wisdom anyways :)

On Jun 6, 2017 10:00 AM, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :

> hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
> wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
>
> currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts but
> i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write english..
> so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully

I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
some help...

Re: Gambas-Documentation

> While Google translate and other online transaction tools are not perfect
> we could try a few of them to see which combination of such tools makes
> more sense for both the English side and the non-English side.

that-s a totally true..

> Keep in mind that the way we put words to our thoughts is also affected by
> different patterns and experiences in all our lives as well as mood and
> stress levels at the time of asking for info or documenting a piece of
> code. Plus not all words have a direct equivalent in every language. So we
> also have to have a balance between specifics and verbosity.

this point its a special problem.. many possible users don't
contribute due the language are its wall.. and take too much time
translate to other language..

> That's my 2 cents worth of wisdom anyways :)
>
> On Jun 6, 2017 10:00 AM, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
>
>> hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
>> wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
>>
>> currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts but
>> i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write english..
>> so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully
>>

> I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
> some help...
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Jussi Lahtinen
I think many times short example codes tells much more, than human language
explanation. If the function, variable, etc names are in English, then I
think it is usually enough. Maybe some short comments are necessary
sometimes. Let the Gambas be our common language.

Jussi

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Dimitris Anogiatis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While Google translate and other online transaction tools are not perfect
> we could try a few of them to see which combination of such tools makes
> more sense for both the English side and the non-English side.
>
> Keep in mind that the way we put words to our thoughts is also affected​ by
> different patterns and experiences in all our lives as well as mood and
> stress levels at the time of asking for info or documenting a piece of
> code. Plus not all words have a direct equivalent in every language. So we
> also have to have a balance between specifics and verbosity.
>
> That's my 2 cents worth of wisdom anyways :)
>
> On Jun 6, 2017 10:00 AM, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
>
> > hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
> > wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
> >
> > currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts
> but
> > i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write english..
> > so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully
> >

> I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
> some help...
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas-Documentation

> I think many times short example codes tells much more, than human language
> explanation. If the function, variable, etc names are in English, then I
> think it is usually enough. Maybe some short comments are necessary
> sometimes. Let the Gambas be our common language.

documentation its the firts piece of view when a project its about to
start! come on, if this where true, no maillist will exist,

and taking about of pieces of code, in the past all "odbc connections
examples" was out of date, that more thant help new developers make it
confuses

> Jussi
>

> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Dimitris Anogiatis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> While Google translate and other online transaction tools are not perfect
>> we could try a few of them to see which combination of such tools makes
>> more sense for both the English side and the non-English side.
>>
>> Keep in mind that the way we put words to our thoughts is also affected by
>> different patterns and experiences in all our lives as well as mood and
>> stress levels at the time of asking for info or documenting a piece of
>> code. Plus not all words have a direct equivalent in every language. So we
>> also have to have a balance between specifics and verbosity.
>>
>> That's my 2 cents worth of wisdom anyways :)
>>
>> On Jun 6, 2017 10:00 AM, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
>>
>> > hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
>> > wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
>> >
>> > currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts
>> but
>> > i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write english..
>> > so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully
>> >

>> I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
>> some help...
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Cristiano Guadagnino
I speak both spanish and english, so I can be of help, but my free time is
very limited, so ultimately it depends on the amount of work that needs to
be done.

Cris

  <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
<https://mailtrack.io/install?source=signature&lang=en&referral=criguada@...&idSignature=22>

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 06/06/2017 à 17:54, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
>
>> hi benoit, there many issues in gb.db specifically in odbc component, i
>> wish to be fixed in the next release please, thanks in advance
>>
>> currently i can to contribute to the documentation how-to's wiki parts
>> but i cannot write on both languajes, its very tedious for me write
>> english.. so if any could translate from spanish will be usefully
>>

> I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
> some help...
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Jussi Lahtinen
I meant documentation should have example codes. It's great point to start
with, and it doesn't require much skills in English.
If examples are out of date, then likely also documentation is out of date.
So, it's not specific problem of example code.

Jussi

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:58 PM, PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > I think many times short example codes tells much more, than human
> language
> > explanation. If the function, variable, etc names are in English, then I
> > think it is usually enough. Maybe some short comments are necessary
> > sometimes. Let the Gambas be our common language.
>
> documentation its the firts piece of view when a project its about to
> start! come on, if this where true, no maillist will exist,
>
> and taking about of pieces of code, in the past all "odbc connections
> examples" was out of date, that more thant help new developers make it
> confuses
>

> > Jussi
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Dimitris Anogiatis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> While Google translate and other online transaction tools are not
> perfect
> >> we could try a few of them to see which combination of such tools makes
> >> more sense for both the English side and the non-English side.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind that the way we put words to our thoughts is also affected
> by
> >> different patterns and experiences in all our lives as well as mood and
> >> stress levels at the time of asking for info or documenting a piece of
> >> code. Plus not all words have a direct equivalent in every language. So
> we
> >> also have to have a balance between specifics and verbosity.
> >>
> >> That's my 2 cents worth of wisdom anyways :)
> >>
> >> On Jun 6, 2017 10:00 AM, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
> >> [hidden email]> wrote:

> >> but
> english..
> >> >

> >> I don't speak spanish, and your english is often unreadable, so we need
> >> some help...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas-Documentation

adamnt42@gmail.com
I think one of the things that is hard about doing something about the documentation is that there does not appear to be any simple way to collaborate on it.  For example, stirred up a bit by this thread, I started having a go at some of the wiki "ToDo" list, specifically the gb.desktop component.  I had added some descriptive and example content for much of the DesktopFile class then hit this snag....

What is the "Size" parameter in GetIcon(Size As Integer)?

Where is a convenient place to talk about that question? I don't think it really belongs in the mailing list as it may take a reasonable time before someone with that knowledge notices the post and answers it. In the mean time the post just drifts farther and farther down the time line.  I don't think that adding content to the page concerned would work either, as the person with the knowledge is not likely to be referring to the page in the course of their normal day.

And while I'm at it - how do you add an image to a wiki page? Like the http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/makereport/arrange.png?  in the "How to to make a report with Gambas" page.  Note, I mean how do I upload the .png files I want to put in a page, not how to reference it in the markup ( i.e. I know "[doc/myhowto/blah.png]" ).

cheers

B Bruen <[hidden email] (sort of)>

Re: Gambas-Documentation

gambas-user mailing list
Le 07/06/2017 à 02:40, [hidden email] a écrit :

> I think one of the things that is hard about doing something about
> the documentation is that there does not appear to be any simple way
> to collaborate on it.  For example, stirred up a bit by this thread,
> I started having a go at some of the wiki "ToDo" list, specifically
> the gb.desktop component.  I had added some descriptive and example
> content for much of the DesktopFile class then hit this snag....
>
> What is the "Size" parameter in GetIcon(Size As Integer)?
>
> Where is a convenient place to talk about that question? I don't
> think it really belongs in the mailing list as it may take a
> reasonable time before someone with that knowledge notices the post
> and answers it. In the mean time the post just drifts farther and
> farther down the time line.  I don't think that adding content to the
> page concerned would work either, as the person with the knowledge is
> not likely to be referring to the page in the course of their normal
> day.
>
> And while I'm at it - how do you add an image to a wiki page? Like
> the http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/makereport/arrange.png?  in the
> "How to to make a report with Gambas" page.  Note, I mean how do I
> upload the .png files I want to put in a page, not how to reference
> it in the markup ( i.e. I know "[doc/myhowto/blah.png]" ).
>
> cheers b

Images are wiki pages whose URL ends with ".png" or ".jpg".

To upload an image, you have to login and then access the page. You will
get then a button to upload the image.

Re: Gambas-Documentation

Hi adamnt42,

> What is the "Size" parameter in GetIcon(Size As Integer)?
>
> Where is a convenient place to talk about that question? I don't think it
really belongs in the mailing list as it may take a reasonable time before
someone with that knowledge notices the post and answers it. In the mean
time the post just drifts farther and farther down the time line.  I don't
think that adding content to the page concerned would work either, as the
person with the knowledge is not likely to be referring to the page in the
course of their normal day.

same happened to me on the ODBC documentation.. many errors happened and
due mail list dont answer quickly (and to not receive responses like "it's
obviously that") i decide triying by myselft.. that take me a lot of time
but well...the result was that ODBC module componente has some bugs
reported by me...

> And while I'm at it - how do you add an image to a wiki page? Like the
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/makereport/arrange.png?  in the "How to to
make a report with Gambas" page.  Note, I mean how do I upload the .png
files I want to put in a page, not how to reference it in the markup ( i.e.
I know "[doc/myhowto/blah.png]" ).

a big problem, graphical examples need images with those in action... for
that i not have a suggested solution due i not code too many desktop apps..
i made more daemons and services programs in gambas ...