Gambas book

John Rittinghouse
Hi folks,

Good points made about the icons used in the book.  I am working with evaraldo.com presently to secure permission to use those screenshots with the book.  The book itself is nearly complete, only two chapters remain.  The use of the book with the online Gambas docs is desirable and I hope found to be worthy.  It will be ready as soon as i finish these last two chapters (database and networking) and get the foreword back (hint)<grin>...

jr

Re: Gambas book

Rob Kudla
On Wed September 28 2005 07:48, John Rittinghouse wrote:
> Good points made about the icons used in the book.  I am working
> with evaraldo.com presently to secure permission to use those
> screenshots with the book.  The book itself is nearly complete,

The icons Steve was talking about are within screenshots of free
software?  It boggles the mind that you'd need permission for that...
it would preclude screenshots of KDE, for example, which proprietary
books and magazines have been doing for years.

Rob

Re: Gambas book

Rob Kudla
On Wed September 28 2005 07:48, John Rittinghouse wrote:
> Good points made about the icons used in the book.  I am working
> with evaraldo.com presently to secure permission to use those
> screenshots with the book.  The book itself is nearly complete,

As I suspected, the crystalsvg icon set is licensed under the LGPL:

http://webcvs.kde.org/kdelibs/pics/LICENSE.crystalsvg?rev=1.3&view=markup

So even if you were using the icons themselves instead of just
screenshots, unless you're using some extra Crystal icons that aren't
part of crystalsvg, all you need to do is include that license and
offer people the "source code" (the crystalsvg tarball itself) for
the cost of media.  If you just point them at the original crystalsvg
tarball on the web, I'm guessing no one will ever take you up on that
offer.  OTOH, if your book is going to contain a CD, bang, you don't
even need to make the media offer as long as you put the tarball on
the CD.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am pedantic enough that I probably could have
been one in some alternate universe.

Rob