Gambas self-extracting installer

I have just started to make a Gambas self-extracting installer in Gambas.

I will write it in two stages.

The first stage is a command-line program that will detect the current
distribution, and automatically install a GUI component according to it,
so that the second stage can be run.

The second stage will be the graphical installation program by itself.
It will install all the needed binary packages, according to the current
distribution and the Gambas project requirements.

The first problem I encounter is the gambas runtime.

Either I require it to be already install on the system, the installer
may become less useful then.

Either I put the runtime inside the installer, running it by
manipulating the environmental variables. But then I should put one
runtime for each architecture (x86, x86_64, ARM), and I can generate
only one architecture from a specific system.

Note that in both cases, I suppose that all system libraries needed by
the Gambas interpreter are already installed.

For the x86_64 architecture, these are:
- linux-vdso.so.1
- libm.so.6
- libdl.so.2
- libpthread.so.0
- libffi.so.6
- libc.so.6
- /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Except maybe for libffi.so.6, everything should be already installed,
otherwise the system is not functional.

What do you think about that? Which path should I follow?

Re: Gambas self-extracting installer

Kendek
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:57:09 +0200 -n
Benoît Minisini <[hidden email]> írta:

> Hi,
>
> I have just started to make a Gambas self-extracting installer in
> Gambas.

Good, but this installation method is Ubuntu- and Debian-stranger.

> I will write it in two stages.
>
> The first stage is a command-line program that will detect the
> current distribution, and automatically install a GUI component
> according to it, so that the second stage can be run.
>
> The second stage will be the graphical installation program by
> itself. It will install all the needed binary packages, according to
> the current distribution and the Gambas project requirements.
>
> The first problem I encounter is the gambas runtime.
>
> Either I require it to be already install on the system, the
> installer may become less useful then.

To avoid this, use a shell script. Preferably Bash. Default shell in
Debian and Ubuntu is Dash, but it not fully compatible with Bash.

> Either I put the runtime inside the installer, running it by
> manipulating the environmental variables. But then I should put one
> runtime for each architecture (x86, x86_64, ARM), and I can generate
> only one architecture from a specific system.
>
> Note that in both cases, I suppose that all system libraries needed
> by the Gambas interpreter are already installed.
>
> For the x86_64 architecture, these are:
> - linux-vdso.so.1
> - libm.so.6
> - libdl.so.2
> - libpthread.so.0
> - libffi.so.6
> - libc.so.6
> - /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>
> Except maybe for libffi.so.6, everything should be already installed,
> otherwise the system is not functional.
>
> What do you think about that? Which path should I follow?

If you do not want to use shell script, I prefer the second one.
Unfortunately, the Gambas is not part of the basic installation.

But otherwise, there is also problem of Gambas version. If installer
use version 3.5, but system use older packages, installer not work. Or
installed code not work. Or source compilation is not possible.

Re: Gambas self-extracting installer

Jussi Lahtinen
How the user would get security updates etc? I think it would be better to
use repositories.
Perhaps there could be something like PPAs, but with more broad support for
different architectures and distributions.

Jussi

Le 26/10/2013 21:59, Jussi Lahtinen a écrit :
> How the user would get security updates etc? I think it would be better to
> use repositories.
> Perhaps there could be something like PPAs, but with more broad support for
> different architectures and distributions.
>
> Jussi

This does not replace repositories. The goal is to allow to install
Gambas programs with a GUI installer that automatically downloads the
needed packages.

Re: Gambas self-extracting installer

Jussi Lahtinen
Oh, sorry I understood wrongy...

I think gambas runtime should be shipped with the installer.
How do you plan to install the runtime, with bash script?

"But then I should put one runtime for each architecture (x86, x86_64,
ARM), and I can generate
only one architecture from a specific system."

Can you elaborate this? Do you mean you cannot compile runtime for each
architecture..?

Jussi

Le 26/10/2013 22:48, Jussi Lahtinen a écrit :
> Oh, sorry I understood wrongy...
>
> I think gambas runtime should be shipped with the installer.
> How do you plan to install the runtime, with bash script?

A gambas runtime is shipped with the installer, but just to run the
installer.

The real gambas runtime will be installed by the system packager through
the dependencies of gambas binary packages.

> "But then I should put one runtime for each architecture (x86, x86_64,
> ARM), andI can generate
> only one architecture from a specific system."
>
> Can you elaborate this? Do you mean you cannot compile runtime for each
> architecture..?
>
> Jussi

The installer is provided with a bunch of system libraries and gambas
components for its own use. I copy them from my system which is x86_64.
I don't have any ARM or x96 system under the hood at the moment to
provide the same libraries for these architectures.

Re: Gambas self-extracting installer

Jussi Lahtinen

> The installer is provided with a bunch of system libraries and gambas
> components for its own use. I copy them from my system which is x86_64.
> I don't have any ARM or x96 system under the hood at the moment to
> provide the same libraries for these architectures.

OK, I would guess there is some way to do this conveniently.

Jussi