How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Fernando Cabral
I have gambas3 3.9.2 running Linux Mint 18.1. I have installed gambas using
a PPA. Is there a way I can use to force apt-get to download and install
the last stable version? I've tried removing, purging and installing anew,
but it seems I ended up with the same version.  From this fact I would
guess the PPA does not represent last revision we can find at the
sourceforge repository [r8142].

Is my understanding right?

I tried to download and compile, but there were so many modules disabled
that I concluded gambas would barely work -- if at all.

I guess my practical question is: is there a way for me to get the latest
revision without having to go thru the pains of finding out how to overcome
the issues with the disabled modules and compiling from source?

Regards

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Tobias Boege-2
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> I have gambas3 3.9.2 running Linux Mint 18.1. I have installed gambas using
> a PPA. Is there a way I can use to force apt-get to download and install
> the last stable version? I've tried removing, purging and installing anew,
> but it seems I ended up with the same version.  From this fact I would
> guess the PPA does not represent last revision we can find at the
> sourceforge repository [r8142].
>
> Is my understanding right?
>
> I tried to download and compile, but there were so many modules disabled
> that I concluded gambas would barely work -- if at all.
>
> I guess my practical question is: is there a way for me to get the latest
> revision without having to go thru the pains of finding out how to overcome
> the issues with the disabled modules and compiling from source?

If you want the latest *stable* version, as you say in your first paragraph,
then you got it. 3.9.2 is the latest stable Gambas release.

On the other hand, if you want the latest SVN revision (aka "/trunk", or
more verbosely "unstable development snapshot"), as you say in the remainder
of your mail, you have to use a different PPA, called "gambas-daily".
Before I explain it with my own words, did you read the wiki page [1] ?

[1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/ubuntu

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Fernando Cabral
Tobi

Excuse both my ignorance and poor communication ability. I prefer using the
latest stable version, which I expect be the case when I resort to the PPA
I am presently using. Now, I was not aware that those revisions are still
considered unstable. So, I expected (wrongly, I see) that they would be
incorporated into the stable version.

So, I will stay with the stable version and wait until the changes are made
available for general use. Meanwhile, I'll keep using the workaround for
the keyboard locking issue.

Thank you.

- fernando

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:
> > I have gambas3 3.9.2 running Linux Mint 18.1. I have installed gambas
> using
> > a PPA. Is there a way I can use to force apt-get to download and install
> > the last stable version? I've tried removing, purging and installing
> anew,
> > but it seems I ended up with the same version.  From this fact I would
> > guess the PPA does not represent last revision we can find at the
> > sourceforge repository [r8142].
> >
> > Is my understanding right?
> >
> > I tried to download and compile, but there were so many modules disabled
> > that I concluded gambas would barely work -- if at all.
> >
> > I guess my practical question is: is there a way for me to get the latest
> > revision without having to go thru the pains of finding out how to
> overcome
> > the issues with the disabled modules and compiling from source?
> >

> If you want the latest *stable* version, as you say in your first
> paragraph,
> then you got it. 3.9.2 is the latest stable Gambas release.
>
> On the other hand, if you want the latest SVN revision (aka "/trunk", or
> more verbosely "unstable development snapshot"), as you say in the
> remainder
> of your mail, you have to use a different PPA, called "gambas-daily".
> Before I explain it with my own words, did you read the wiki page [1] ?

> [1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/ubuntu

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Tobias Boege-2
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> Tobi
>
> Excuse both my ignorance and poor communication ability. I prefer using the
> latest stable version, which I expect be the case when I resort to the PPA
> I am presently using. Now, I was not aware that those revisions are still
> considered unstable. So, I expected (wrongly, I see) that they would be
> incorporated into the stable version.
>
> So, I will stay with the stable version and wait until the changes are made
> available for general use. Meanwhile, I'll keep using the workaround for
> the keyboard locking issue.

Ok, but just a quick remark. "Unstable" is an unclear term. I, for one,
always run an unstable version of Gambas (compiled from source) and usually
have no problems. But once in a while it happens that something is broken
in the development version because of a change that was not fully thought
through; or you install a revision in the middle of someone making a bunch
of commits, before he is done with all his changes, and Gambas doesn't even
compile completely.

If you want to test a bug fix (or go on bug hunt yourself), you have to use
the unstable version, because the stable version is supposed(TM) to not have
bugs but to have confirmed bug fixes. Unstable usually isn't as bad as it
sounds.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Gianluigi
+1 👍
I also use the version of Gambas compiled from sources without any problems☺
Regards
Gianluigi

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:
> > Tobi
> >
> > Excuse both my ignorance and poor communication ability. I prefer using
> the
> > latest stable version, which I expect be the case when I resort to the
> PPA
> > I am presently using. Now, I was not aware that those revisions are still
> > considered unstable. So, I expected (wrongly, I see) that they would be
> > incorporated into the stable version.
> >
> > So, I will stay with the stable version and wait until the changes are
> made
> > available for general use. Meanwhile, I'll keep using the workaround for
> > the keyboard locking issue.
> >

> Ok, but just a quick remark. "Unstable" is an unclear term. I, for one,
> always run an unstable version of Gambas (compiled from source) and usually
> have no problems. But once in a while it happens that something is broken
> in the development version because of a change that was not fully thought
> through; or you install a revision in the middle of someone making a bunch
> of commits, before he is done with all his changes, and Gambas doesn't even
> compile completely.
>
> If you want to test a bug fix (or go on bug hunt yourself), you have to use
> the unstable version, because the stable version is supposed(TM) to not
> have
> bugs but to have confirmed bug fixes. Unstable usually isn't as bad as it
> sounds.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Fernando Cabral
Gianluigi and Tobi

I tried to compile, then  I found some modules would be disabled (a long
list of them). Reading the INSTALL instruction I found that in order to
compile for Mint (Ubuntu) I would have to manually define a lot of things
specific to that environment. I gave up because I do not have the time or
knowledge to do what is required (It is not that I am lazy; it is because
time has been quite scarce.

Maybe I should try the unstable version...

Regards

- fernando

> +1 👍
> I also use the version of Gambas compiled from sources without any
> problems☺
> Regards
> Gianluigi

> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:
> > > Tobi
> > >
> > > Excuse both my ignorance and poor communication ability. I prefer using
> > the
> > > latest stable version, which I expect be the case when I resort to the
> > PPA
> > > I am presently using. Now, I was not aware that those revisions are
> still
> > > considered unstable. So, I expected (wrongly, I see) that they would be
> > > incorporated into the stable version.
> > >
> > > So, I will stay with the stable version and wait until the changes are
> > made
> > > available for general use. Meanwhile, I'll keep using the workaround
> for
> > > the keyboard locking issue.
> > >

> > Ok, but just a quick remark. "Unstable" is an unclear term. I, for one,
> > always run an unstable version of Gambas (compiled from source) and
> usually
> > have no problems. But once in a while it happens that something is broken
> > in the development version because of a change that was not fully thought
> > through; or you install a revision in the middle of someone making a
> bunch
> > of commits, before he is done with all his changes, and Gambas doesn't
> even
> > compile completely.
> >
> > If you want to test a bug fix (or go on bug hunt yourself), you have to
> use
> > the unstable version, because the stable version is supposed(TM) to not
> > have
> > bugs but to have confirmed bug fixes. Unstable usually isn't as bad as it
> > sounds.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >
> > --
> > "There's an old saying: Don't change anything... ever!" -- Mr. Monk

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Gianluigi
Linux Mint 18.1 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) the same version as
Ubuntu I have.

If you want to try installing the latest Gambas Trunk, below, I list the
steps I've made.

Of course, as a first step, you must remove from your Mint any trace of
Gambas repository, for example:

To uninstall the stable repository:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
To uninstall the trunk (unstable) repository:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:gambas-team/gambas-daily
Gambas real with all the libraries etc .:
sudo apt-get --purge remove gambas3
sudo apt-get autoremove gambas3

At this point you can check that you have actually cleaned Ubuntu from the
old Gambas by giving these commands, always from the terminal:

sudo updatedb
locate gambas*
If you find something copied and always deleted with:

sudo apt-get –purge remove <what you want to remove>

First you need to download the libraries:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install build-essential g++ automake autoconf libtool libbz2-dev
libmysqlclient-dev unixodbc-dev libpq-dev postgresql-server-dev-9.5
libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev
libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgtkglext1-dev libpcre3-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev
libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsage-dev libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev librsvg2-dev libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib-dev
libpoppler-private-dev libasound2-dev libesd0-dev libdirectfb-dev
libxtst-dev libffi-dev libqt4-dev libqtwebkit-dev libqt4-opengl-dev
libglew1.6-dev libimlib2-dev libv4l-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
libgnome-keyring-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev linux-libc-dev
libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libcairo2-dev
libgsl0-dev libncurses5-dev libgmime-2.6-dev llvm-3.5-dev libalure-dev
libgmp-dev libgtk-3-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev
libsdl2-image-dev sane-utils libdumb1-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libqt5svg5-dev
libqt5webkit5-dev libqt5x11extras5-dev qtbase5-dev[/code]

Now you can start by compiling the TRUNK version from SVN.
NOTE: You will get two log files on our Desktop (look if your path is
Desktop or Escritorio):

sudo apt install subversion

svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/gambas/code/gambas/trunk

cd trunk

~/trunk$ ( ./reconf-all && LLVM_CONFIG=llvm-config-3.5 ./configure -C ) >
~/Desktop/R_conf-Trunk.log 2>&1

Check the R_conf-Trunk.log log file on the your desktop (last line of the
file)
If it's ok, go ahead, if you miss jit or have other problems posted here
the log file.

~/trunk$ ( make && sudo make install ) > ~/Scrivania/Make_Inst-Trunk.log
2>&1

Regards

Gianluigi

> Gianluigi and Tobi
>
> I tried to compile, then  I found some modules would be disabled (a long
> list of them). Reading the INSTALL instruction I found that in order to
> compile for Mint (Ubuntu) I would have to manually define a lot of things
> specific to that environment. I gave up because I do not have the time or
> knowledge to do what is required (It is not that I am lazy; it is because
> time has been quite scarce.
>
> Maybe I should try the unstable version...
>
> Regards
>

> - fernando

> > +1 👍
> > I also use the version of Gambas compiled from sources without any
> > problems☺
> > Regards
> > Gianluigi

> using
> > > the
> the
> > > PPA
> > still
> be

> are
> > > made
> > for
> > > >

> > > Ok, but just a quick remark. "Unstable" is an unclear term. I, for one,
> > > always run an unstable version of Gambas (compiled from source) and
> > usually
> > > have no problems. But once in a while it happens that something is
> broken
> > > in the development version because of a change that was not fully
> thought
> > > through; or you install a revision in the middle of someone making a
> > bunch
> > > of commits, before he is done with all his changes, and Gambas doesn't
> > even
> > > compile completely.
> > >
> > > If you want to test a bug fix (or go on bug hunt yourself), you have to
> > use
> > > the unstable version, because the stable version is supposed(TM) to not
> > > have
> > > bugs but to have confirmed bug fixes. Unstable usually isn't as bad as
> it
> > > sounds.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tobi
> > >
> > > --
> > > "There's an old saying: Don't change anything... ever!" -- Mr. Monk

> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Gianluigi
Sorry I've forgotten a [/code] in command queue, this is the clean command:

> [...]

>> thought
>> > bunch
>> > even

>> > use
>> not
>> as it

>> --
>> Fernando Cabral
>> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>> e-mail <http://twitter.com/fjcabrale-mail>: [hidden email]
>> Facebook: [hidden email]
>> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>>
>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

I found another mistake in my post
I'm a distracted guy :-(

The last command is:

~/trunk$ ( make && sudo make install ) > ~/Desktop/Make_Inst-Trunk.log 2>&1

or

~/trunk$ ( make && sudo make install ) > ~/Escritorio/Make_Inst-Trunk.log
> [...]

>>> one,
>>> broken
>>> thought
>>> doesn't

>>> not
>>> as it

>>> --
>>> Fernando Cabral
>>> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>>> e-mail <http://twitter.com/fjcabrale-mail>: [hidden email]
>>> Facebook: [hidden email]
>>> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>>> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>>> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>>> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>>> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
>>> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>>>
>>> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>>> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
err gianluigi if the error resides in the configuration of OS or some
updated bad applied all of your post are unuseless.. as you can see they
retry that steps varuious times.. always same result

the important note its that in virtual machines in same broken environment
the gambas work perfectly so the hardware its not the problem, ... so the
problem its on some change in the same system (due same system are in both
virtual and broken env, and ironicale the virtual are inside the broken
system)

> [...]
> >>
> >> Check the R_conf-Trunk.log log file on the your desktop (last line of
> the
> >> file)
> >> If it's ok, go ahead, if you miss jit or have other problems posted here
> >> the log file.
> >>
> >> ~/trunk$ ( make && sudo make install ) > ~/Scrivania/Make_Inst-Trunk.
> log
> >> 2>&1
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Gianluigi

> >:

> long
> things
> or
> because

> are

> changes

> have

> [hidden email]

Re: How can I force linux mint to upgrade gambas3 to the last update?

Here is the right word IF.
IF he tries to compile and IF he post any mistakes (with log file), maybe
Benoit, Fabien, Tobias or others can understand the problem.

Regards
Gianluigi

P.S.
The last two mails (one of Fernando and one of mine) do not appear here[0]
[0]
http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/How-can-I-force-linux-mint-to-upgrade-gambas3-to-the-last-update-td59301.html