How to make installation package

Fernando Cabral
I'd like to make an installation package to install a gambas program on a
machine that does not have gambas. I tried doing it clicking on
Project -> Make -> Installation package.
After presenting some questions, it runs and creates 22 files (regular,
.gz, dsc and deb files). Four of them a *.deb files. Now, here are the
issues:

1) They are all small files, so, for sure, they do not contain the
interpreter
2) trying to install the deb files results in nothing (no error message,
but nothing happens)

Is there a wiki page where I can get better information on how to do this?

--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How to make installation package

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
some time ago gambas only produces a one package and two sets of sources..
since gambas 3.5/3.7 now gambas produces two flavors of debian packages:
those that depends on qt4/qt5 and those that depends on gtk2.. if you want
only a specific flavor must make depends specific on gb.xxx toolklit event
gb.gui etc etc...

that's the only information.. i can provide more but i need to research and
remenber also investigate in the old mails...

> I'd like to make an installation package to install a gambas program on a
> machine that does not have gambas. I tried doing it clicking on
> Project -> Make -> Installation package.
> After presenting some questions, it runs and creates 22 files (regular,
> .gz, dsc and deb files). Four of them a *.deb files. Now, here are the
> issues:
>
> 1) They are all small files, so, for sure, they do not contain the
> interpreter
> 2) trying to install the deb files results in nothing (no error message,
> but nothing happens)
>
> Is there a wiki page where I can get better information on how to do this?
>
> --
> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: How to make installation package

gbwilly
On 2017-07-06 03:43, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> I'd like to make an installation package to install a gambas program on
> machine that does not have gambas. I tried doing it clicking on
> Project -> Make -> Installation package.
> After presenting some questions, it runs and creates 22 files (regular,
> .gz, dsc and deb files). Four of them a *.deb files. Now, here are the
> issues:
>
> 1) They are all small files, so, for sure, they do not contain the
> interpreter
> 2) trying to install the deb files results in nothing (no error
> message,
> but nothing happens)

The target system where you want to install the gambas application on
has to have the link to the gambas repository.
Seems you are on Debian/Ubuntu.

For Ubuntu open terminal on target system and do:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
sudo apt-get update

Next you can install your gambas application, it will pull in all
dependencies (like interpreter) and install them.
It will only install those parts of Gambas the application needs to run
properly.

Above is for Gambas stable 3.9.2, if you developed your application in
trunk you will need to add trunk repo to target system instead of stable
repo.

Hope this explains all.

gbWilly

Re: How to make installation package

Fernando Cabral

The target system where you want to install the gambas application on has

>>> to have the link to the gambas repository.
>>> Seems you are on Debian/Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> For Ubuntu open terminal on target system and do:
>>>
>>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>>

>>> Next you can install your gambas application, it will pull in all
>>> dependencies (like interpreter) and install them.
>>> It will only install those parts of Gambas the application needs to run
>>> properly.
>>>

>>> Above is for Gambas stable 3.9.2, if you developed your application in
>>> trunk you will need to add trunk repo to target system instead of stable
>>> repo.
>>>
>>> Hope this explains all.

Willy, it does explain. Just to be on the safe side:
a) It means Gambas iteself is not installed when we run the package
installer, right?
b) What do the *.deb files do? Just copy the sorce code and the bytecode to
the new system?

Thank you.

- fernando

On 2017-07-07 16:18, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> The target system where you want to install the gambas application on
> has

Hi Fernando,

> Willy, it does explain. Just to be on the safe side:
> a) It means Gambas iteself is not installed when we run the package
> installer, right?

It does NOT install Gambas IDE,  only those parts needed to run your
Gambas application (so interpreter, components used etc.)

> b) What do the *.deb files do? Just copy the sorce code and the
> bytecode to
> the new system?

They are the debian installer files.
They do all kinds of things like put your executable at proper location,
pull in the needed dependencies (like interpreter, components used by
your application...), make desktop menu entry, take care of application
icon and all more that is needed to make your application work properly
on the system it is installed too.

Debain determines how these files are build. They have policies (see:
https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging)

Hope this clarifies things for you.

gbWilly