Quantcast

Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
In gambas wiki documentation said:

You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement the Data
<http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data> event to display
the grid contents on demand.

You should use the last method if you have a lot of rows to display. The
control can handle millions of lines gracefully.

but i try to set gridview.data event and set GridView1*.*Data*.*Text but
when comes the object said it null (Data) ...

its there any example to load? i have a CSV and also a table db.. please
its the documentation wrong?

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Fabien Bodard-4
Well have you a better exemple.

First
MyGridView.Columns.Count = 1
hResult = DB.Exec.....

MyGridView.Rows.Count = hResult.Count

then

Public sub MyGridView_Data(Row as integer, Column as Integer)

hResult.MoveTo(Row)

Select case Column
Case 0
  Last.Data.Text = hResult!Name
end Select

end

> In gambas wiki documentation said:
>
> You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement the Data
> <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data> event to display
> the grid contents on demand.
>
> You should use the last method if you have a lot of rows to display. The
> control can handle millions of lines gracefully.
>
> but i try to set gridview.data event and set GridView1*.*Data*.*Text but
> when comes the object said it null (Data) ...
>
> its there any example to load? i have a CSV and also a table db.. please
> its the documentation wrong?
>
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

ingo
have look to the german Gambas-Buch with an example how to load date from a db and show it in the gridView.
http://gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k17:k17.7:k17.7.5:start&s[]=gridview

Hope that helps.
Ingo

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

> First
> MyGridView.Columns.Count = 1
> hResult = DB.Exec.....
>
> AHHHH THAT's the problem, THE ODBC row count does not exist, due the
MS/sybase ODBC freedts implementaion or gambas i dont know does not retunr
any more than "-1"

> MyGridView.Rows.Count = hResult.Count
>
> so i set this to a fixed knowed (only for test), and then

> then
>
> Public sub MyGridView_Data(Row as integer, Column as Integer)
>
> hResult.MoveTo(Row)
>
> Select case Column
> Case 0
>   Last.Data.Text = hResult!Name
> end Select
>
> end

i assume the grid will be filled as the cursor will get down the navigation
vertical bar?

On Tue, 16 May 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:

> In gambas wiki documentation said:
>
> You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement the Data
> <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data> event to display
> the grid contents on demand.
>
> You should use the last method if you have a lot of rows to display. The
> control can handle millions of lines gracefully.
>
> but i try to set gridview.data event and set GridView1*.*Data*.*Text but
> when comes the object said it null (Data) ...
>
> its there any example to load? i have a CSV and also a table db.. please
> its the documentation wrong?

It's not. This method is so fast and easy on memory because you load the
GridView contents *on demand*. Read the text carefully: it tells you that
the GridView will raise the Data *event* (not the Data property; it even
links to the Data event documentation [1] which is IMHO comprehensive
enough) when it needs the contents of certain cells.

So, when the GridView control detects that it should display a certain cell,
identified by a Row and a Column number, it will raise the GridView_Data
event with just these Row and Column arguments. *During* such a Data event,
the GridView.Data property will contain a valid object and you have to
retrieve the cell data somehow (from your CSV file or database or ...) and
store it inside the GridView.Data property. You may only use the Data
property during the Data event.

If you still need an example, the IDE source code has some. You can also
look at the implementation of the ListBox control in gb.gui.base. It uses
the Data event of a GridView internally, too. (Who would've thought that
the ListBox is also just a GridView in disguise?)

[1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
umm so then as you said, the rs number 30000 does not load until i get down
the gridview to the row 30000! ?

if this the case, how can i implement a search input that retrieve data
when i put strings!?

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> > In gambas wiki documentation said:
> >
> > You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement the Data
> > <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data> event to display
> > the grid contents on demand.
> >
> > You should use the last method if you have a lot of rows to display. The
> > control can handle millions of lines gracefully.
> >
> > but i try to set gridview.data event and set GridView1*.*Data*.*Text but
> > when comes the object said it null (Data) ...
> >
> > its there any example to load? i have a CSV and also a table db.. please
> > its the documentation wrong?
> >

> It's not. This method is so fast and easy on memory because you load the
> GridView contents *on demand*. Read the text carefully: it tells you that
> the GridView will raise the Data *event* (not the Data property; it even
> links to the Data event documentation [1] which is IMHO comprehensive
> enough) when it needs the contents of certain cells.
>
> So, when the GridView control detects that it should display a certain
> cell,
> identified by a Row and a Column number, it will raise the GridView_Data
> event with just these Row and Column arguments. *During* such a Data event,
> the GridView.Data property will contain a valid object and you have to
> retrieve the cell data somehow (from your CSV file or database or ...) and
> store it inside the GridView.Data property. You may only use the Data
> property during the Data event.
>
> If you still need an example, the IDE source code has some. You can also
> look at the implementation of the ListBox control in gb.gui.base. It uses
> the Data event of a GridView internally, too. (Who would've thought that
> the ListBox is also just a GridView in disguise?)

> [1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Tobias Boege-2
On Tue, 16 May 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> umm so then as you said, the rs number 30000 does not load until i get down
> the gridview to the row 30000! ?

Yes, why don't you try it yourself?

> if this the case, how can i implement a search input that retrieve data
> when i put strings!?

At the risk that I didn't understand your question: The GridView does
not store the data permanently, so you can't search it, but your data
is stored somewhere, right? In your case your data comes from a data-
base, so you search the database.

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Fabien Bodard-4
> umm so then as you said, the rs number 30000 does not load until i get down
> the gridview to the row 30000! ?
>
> if this the case, how can i implement a search input that retrieve data
> when i put strings!?

gridview is just a viewer !

> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> On Tue, 16 May 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>> > In gambas wiki documentation said:
>> >
>> > You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement the Data
>> > <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data> event to display
>> > the grid contents on demand.
>> >
>> > You should use the last method if you have a lot of rows to display. The
>> > control can handle millions of lines gracefully.
>> >
>> > but i try to set gridview.data event and set GridView1*.*Data*.*Text but
>> > when comes the object said it null (Data) ...
>> >
>> > its there any example to load? i have a CSV and also a table db.. please
>> > its the documentation wrong?
>> >

>> It's not. This method is so fast and easy on memory because you load the
>> GridView contents *on demand*. Read the text carefully: it tells you that
>> the GridView will raise the Data *event* (not the Data property; it even
>> links to the Data event documentation [1] which is IMHO comprehensive
>> enough) when it needs the contents of certain cells.
>>
>> So, when the GridView control detects that it should display a certain
>> cell,
>> identified by a Row and a Column number, it will raise the GridView_Data
>> event with just these Row and Column arguments. *During* such a Data event,
>> the GridView.Data property will contain a valid object and you have to
>> retrieve the cell data somehow (from your CSV file or database or ...) and
>> store it inside the GridView.Data property. You may only use the Data
>> property during the Data event.
>>
>> If you still need an example, the IDE source code has some. You can also
>> look at the implementation of the ListBox control in gb.gui.base. It uses
>> the Data event of a GridView internally, too. (Who would've thought that
>> the ListBox is also just a GridView in disguise?)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tobi
>>
>> [1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data
>>
>> --
>> "There's an old saying: Don't change anything... ever!" -- Mr. Monk

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>> if this the case, how can i implement a search input that retrieve data
>> when i put strings!?
>>

> At the risk that I didn't understand your question: The GridView does
> not store the data permanently, so you can't search it, but your data
> is stored somewhere, right? In your case your data comes from a data-
> base, so you search the database.

umm and right! but wel the DB are via ODBC and too much communication
could close the connection on the brigde layer! has right, Fabien has
right too, its just a viewer.. so i must made any implmenttion by own
when just user typing.. arrggg

there-s sometigh similar to the trick of json and request/response?

of some trick to made many search to the DB... ?

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Ingo, that My german is not very good, quite limited, a regret to have
family, that German gambas wiki is the best in information, the shrimp
documentation should be so, I mean the amount of documentation aimed
at implementing pieces of code..

the example in the documentation was a good started point thanks.. and
for better the example its attached in each wiki page! wonderfully

if that wiki were in english or spanish, ..... oh men!

> Hi,
> have look to the german Gambas-Buch with an example how to load date from a
> db and show it in the gridView.
> http://gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k17:k17.7:k17.7.5:start&s[]=gridview
> <http://gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k17:k17.7:k17.7.5:start&s[]=gridview>
>
> Hope that helps.
> Ingo

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

Fabien Bodard-4
in fact there is a way for you i think.

You must take a look at the DataSource code. It use a load on the need
system that i think allow to make something
 about data provider wich not give any info about the number of data rows.

> Ingo, that My german is not very good, quite limited, a regret to have
> family, that German gambas wiki is the best in information, the shrimp
> documentation should be so, I mean the amount of documentation aimed
> at implementing pieces of code..
>
> the example in the documentation was a good started point thanks.. and
> for better the example its attached in each wiki page! wonderfully
>
> if that wiki were in english or spanish, ..... oh men!
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> Hi,
>> have look to the german Gambas-Buch with an example how to load date from a
>> db and show it in the gridView.
>> http://gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k17:k17.7:k17.7.5:start&s[]=gridview
>> <http://gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k17:k17.7:k17.7.5:start&s[]=gridview>
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>> Ingo

Re: Huge data in gridview documentation wiki does not explain how

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
the Datasource code? inside gambas code or in fram? the project that i
found that implements something similar are the DataBrowser component but i
not foud a usefull way to use for me, as u ask in the other mail i send to
you the project .. (in private mail due list does not handle it)

For my 50c of contribution, i'll need to report some test for the freetds
project this weekend, when done, i'll talk about provide count and i'll try
to make some docs for improve the odbc code module.. the odbc freetds
implementation for sybase in linux are pretty good now supporting n****
type data