Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Eduardo Patto Kanegae-2
Hi all,

I just discovered GAMBAS project and found it absolutely incridible!

But I'd like to clarify my vision about it before trying it up.

I used to code using Visual Basic 6 but a few years ago I just gave it up
because a lot of troubles(lot of VB bugs, VB does not have enough functionality...so,
u need tu buy ActiveX, and the main thing: I really prefer free/open software)
and then, since 2000 I left desktop programming and went to web programming with PHP.

When I stopped to VB, the main reason was about GIS(geographic information system) components...
VB GIS third party components in that time exists but too expensive.

Today, there's a lot of free GIS API's(suchs as PROJ.4,ShapeLib,GDAL,OGR,etc...) and it's easy
to use these ones on C, C++ projects..But there's also a lot of Python or Java projects running fine with these tools.

Will I be able to use one(or more) of these C/C++ libs within a GAMBAS projects? Or do I need to wrap the lib as a GAMBAS component?

And about drawing(not processing) maps on GAMBAS? Should I create a "canvas" component base on a picturebox?
or maybe build a GAMBAS component base on a rendering engine?(such as  "Cairo" )

best regards.


--
Eduardo Patto Kanegae
http://www.webmapit.com.br
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Fabien Bodard
Le Samedi 03 Septembre 2005 22:08, Eduardo Patto Kanegae a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I just discovered GAMBAS project and found it absolutely incridible!
>
> But I'd like to clarify my vision about it before trying it up.
>
> I used to code using Visual Basic 6 but a few years ago I just gave it up
> because a lot of troubles(lot of VB bugs, VB does not have enough
> functionality...so,
> u need tu buy ActiveX, and the main thing: I really prefer free/open
> software)
> and then, since 2000 I left desktop programming and went to web programming
> with PHP.
>
> When I stopped to VB, the main reason was about GIS(geographic information
> system) components...
> VB GIS third party components in that time exists but too expensive.
>
> Today, there's a lot of free GIS API's(suchs as
> PROJ.4,ShapeLib,GDAL,OGR,etc...)
> and it's easy
> to use these ones on C, C++ projects..But there's also a lot of Python or
> Java projects running fine with these tools.
>
> Will I be able to use one(or more) of these C/C++ libs within a GAMBAS
> projects? Or do I need to wrap the lib as a GAMBAS component?

I think you need to wrap it yourself...

> And about drawing(not processing) maps on GAMBAS? Should I create a
> "canvas" component base on a picturebox?
There is maybe 2 way :

-Create it as a sub componant like gtk or qt,
- Return a picture and manage it by pos


> or maybe build a GAMBAS component base on a rendering engine?(such as
> "Cairo" )
hum ... i don't know




> best regards.



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
Gambas-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user
Loading...