Quantcast

Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Alex Schaller
Hello Eduardo,

> Hi all,

> I just discovered GAMBAS project and found it absolutely incridible!

Isn't it just great !!!

> Will I be able to use one(or more) of these C/C++ libs within a GAMBAS
> projects? Or do I need to wrap the lib as a GAMBAS component?

You can use the Gambas Extern function to make external API calls. Check out
this documentation link:

http://64.128.110.55/help/lang/extdecl

Also check out the process variable. It lets you start an external program
thru the exec or shell function and then read their output and error messages
thru the processes  Process_Read and  Process_Error events.

> And about drawing(not processing) maps on GAMBAS? Should I create a "canvas"
> component base on a picturebox?
> or maybe build a GAMBAS component base on a rendering engine?(such as
> "Cairo" )

Gambas has a lot of drawing capabilities. Check out the Drawing examples at
the example programs.
Also check out the Drawing Area section in the Gambas How To section within
the help menu.

> best regards.
> --
> Eduardo Patto Kanegae

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!

Alex

Re: Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Rob Kudla
On Sun September 4 2005 09:23, Alex Schaller wrote:
> You can use the Gambas Extern function to make external API calls.
> Check out this documentation link:
> http://64.128.110.55/help/lang/extdecl

I really would hesitate to recommend the unstable development versions
of Gambas to someone who's new to the language.... but I guess it's
the only way to do what he's asking about.

Rob