Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Fernando Cabral
Using IDE I can't edit my source code. It seems locked up. To no avail, I
have followed every hint I' ve received from you guys. I've done more. I
have uninstalled the whole gambas package. I have even searched every file
using find and locate so as not to leave any remains behind. I compressed
and save source code and moved all of them to a different directory.

After that, I installed gambas3. The First time, I used apt-get and got an
older version. It did not work. I uninstalled and proceeded to full removal
again.
Then installed one more time using PPA. Again, it dis not work.

I even tried using a virtual keyboard (Florence). Same problem.

I am at a complete lost. I have no idea where else, or what else to look
for.

Will someone be kind enough to tell me what the IDE looks for to decide if
the source code is locked or not for edition?

One more note: I can use cut, copy and paste. Everything that can be done
with a mouse click works, but the keys used for editing are all locked
(arrows, character, pgdn, pgup, etc.)

I've created a virtual machine with the same environment (linux mint 18.1).
There I can install gambas and change my source code.

Any hints, no matter how crazy, will be much appreciated. I have already
lost a bunch of hours trying to figure this out, but have made no progress
so far.

Regards

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Benoît Minisini
Le 13/05/2017 à 15:56, Fernando Cabral a écrit :

> Using IDE I can't edit my source code. It seems locked up. To no avail, I
> have followed every hint I' ve received from you guys. I've done more. I
> have uninstalled the whole gambas package. I have even searched every file
> using find and locate so as not to leave any remains behind. I compressed
> and save source code and moved all of them to a different directory.
>
> After that, I installed gambas3. The First time, I used apt-get and got an
> older version. It did not work. I uninstalled and proceeded to full removal
> again.
> Then installed one more time using PPA. Again, it dis not work.
>
> I even tried using a virtual keyboard (Florence). Same problem.
>
> I am at a complete lost. I have no idea where else, or what else to look
> for.
>
> Will someone be kind enough to tell me what the IDE looks for to decide if
> the source code is locked or not for edition?
>
> One more note: I can use cut, copy and paste. Everything that can be done
> with a mouse click works, but the keys used for editing are all locked
> (arrows, character, pgdn, pgup, etc.)
>
> I've created a virtual machine with the same environment (linux mint 18.1).
> There I can install gambas and change my source code.
>
> Any hints, no matter how crazy, will be much appreciated. I have already
> lost a bunch of hours trying to figure this out, but have made no progress
> so far.
>
> Regards
>
> - fernando

Can you try to change your XInput method?

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Fernando Cabral
Benoît, for me, hic sunt dracones. What should I change?

Regards

Fernando

On Sat, 13 May 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> Using IDE I can't edit my source code. It seems locked up. To no avail, I
> have followed every hint I' ve received from you guys. I've done more. I
> have uninstalled the whole gambas package. I have even searched every file
> using find and locate so as not to leave any remains behind. I compressed
> and save source code and moved all of them to a different directory.
>
> After that, I installed gambas3. The First time, I used apt-get and got an
> older version. It did not work. I uninstalled and proceeded to full removal
> again.
> Then installed one more time using PPA. Again, it dis not work.
>
> I even tried using a virtual keyboard (Florence). Same problem.
>
> I am at a complete lost. I have no idea where else, or what else to look
> for.
>
> Will someone be kind enough to tell me what the IDE looks for to decide if
> the source code is locked or not for edition?
>
> One more note: I can use cut, copy and paste. Everything that can be done
> with a mouse click works, but the keys used for editing are all locked
> (arrows, character, pgdn, pgup, etc.)
>
> I've created a virtual machine with the same environment (linux mint 18.1).
> There I can install gambas and change my source code.
>
> Any hints, no matter how crazy, will be much appreciated. I have already
> lost a bunch of hours trying to figure this out, but have made no progress
> so far.

I haven't been closely attending the other thread(s) but from this summary
it sounds to me like the problem is somewhere between your keyboard and the
IDE and not inside of the IDE. This would explain why chmod'ing didn't cure
the symptom. I'll try to convince you of that below.

It might still be a problem inside the graphical Gambas components, for
instance, which handle keyboard input, but since you completely removed and
re-installed Gambas multiple times and confirm it works under another
installation of the same distribution, this sounds less likely than, say,
an incompatibility or misconfiguration of another package. Then again this
is also unlikely since Gambas is the only program that misbehaves, right?

So, I have no other hints to give. But I can answer your question:

> Will someone be kind enough to tell me what the IDE looks for to decide if
> the source code is locked or not for edition?

There are two ways to make files non-editable in the IDE: the first is
making the project globally read-only, the other is locking specific files.

For project-wide locking, quoting Project.module:Open() in the IDE source:

   467 Public Function Open(sDir As String, Optional bInAnotherWindow As Boolean) As Boolean
   523   ReadOnly = Not Access(sDir, gb.Write)
   524
   525   If Not ReadOnly Then
   526     If Exist(sDir &/ ".startup") And If Not Access(sDir &/ ".startup", gb.Write) Then ReadOnly = True
   527   Endif
   528
   529   Try hLock = Lock sDir &/ ".lock"
   530
   531   If Not ReadOnly And ((bConvert And Exist(sDir &/ ".lock")) Or Not hLock) Then
   532     If Message.Warning(("This project seems to be already opened.\n\nOpening the same project twice can lead to data loss."),
   533         ("Open after all"), ("Do not open")) = 2 Then
   534       Return True
   535     Endif
   536   Endif

sDir is the project directory. So it first checks whether the project
directory is writable by the current user. If the directory can be written
to but the .startup file exists and is not writable, the project is also
considered read-only.

Looking further at line 531: the bConvert Boolean is not important (it is
set when opening a Gambas 2 project inside the Gambas 3 IDE) and we can
suppose it is False. Then the next condition is that hLock is Null. This
happens precisely when the Lock instruction in line 529 fails, i.e. when
the project is already opened by another instance of the IDE or the lock
file was not removed by a previous IDE accessing the project (because it
terminated abnormally for instance).

The presence of the lock file does *not* set read-only mode. It just makes
the IDE confirm that you know you're opening a locked project and you may
do so and edit the project. If the project is globally read-only (by the
project directory or .startup not being writable), the IDE tells you this
after opening the project: see the attached screenshot.

Locking individual files works basically the same. The locking mechanism
is invoked from the Gambas form/code editor with the "Lock / unlock file"
button, which you can see in the other attached screenshot. If a file is
locked like this, the IDE displays an indication besides the file name,
which the screenshot also shows.

How does this type of locking work? Look at Editor/Code/FEditor.class:

  3745 Public Sub Action_Activate((Key) As String) As Boolean
  3746
  3747   Select Case Key
  3748
  3749     Case ".locked"
  3750       Project.SetReadOnly(Path, Action[Key, Me].Value)

and then

  5749 Public Sub SetReadOnly(sPath As String, bReadOnly As Boolean)
  5768   If Stat(sPath).Type = gb.File Then
  5769
  5770     If bReadOnly Then
  5771       Try Chmod sPath To "r-.r-.r-.."
  5772     Else
  5773       Try Chmod sPath To "rw.rw.r..."
  5774     Endif
  5775
  5776   Endif
  5777
  5778   hForm = Files[sPath]
  5779   If hForm Then Try hForm.SetReadOnly

The read-only status of files is all about the file modes again, which you
confirmed not to be the problem by chmod'ing.

But how does the file read-only status get to the Gambas editor?
See Editor/Code/FEditor.class:

  2181 Public Sub SetReadOnly()
  2182
  2183   Dim bReadOnly As Boolean
  2184
  2185   If Project.ReadOnly Or If Project.Running Or If Project.IsReadOnly(Path) Then
  2186     bReadOnly = True
  2187   Endif
  2188
  2189   edtEditor.ReadOnly = bReadOnly
  2190   If $hEditor1 Then $hEditor1.ReadOnly = bReadOnly
  2191   If $hEditor2 Then $hEditor2.ReadOnly = bReadOnly

It propagates the setting to the editor obejcts, which in turn, when read-only,
refuse all key presses except IDE-specific hotkeys (you may convince yourself of
that by looking at Editors_KeyPress()).

There is another interesting detail in SetReadOnly(): if you trace the way
from clicking the "Run" button (by which you start executing your project)
from FMain.class over Project.module to Debug/Design.module, you arrive at
the following:

   771 Private Sub Start(sCmd As String)
   838   For Each hForm In Project.Workspace.Windows
   839     Try hForm.OnProjectDebug
   840   Next

since your project workspace will contain your editor windows, switch to
the Editor/Code/FEditor.class:

  2433 Public Sub OnProjectDebug()
  2434
  2435   SetReadOnly
  2436   If Not Project.Running Then $hEditor.HideMessageLabel
  2437
  2438 End

Long story short: when you run a project, all open editors are locked. You
probably already knew that. But this sort of locking boils down to the same
primitives that are also used by the IDE when files are read-only locked.

Now my point is: in my experience you can't paste text into the editors by
any means when the project runs. Since you said you can do that and the
"project is running" editor locking is the same as "the file is locked"
locking, this implies that your editors are not actually locked and the
problem must be outside of the IDE.

[ Disclaimer: I only grep'd through the IDE source code with "read-?only|lock"
  and followed everything I deemed meaningful, so I might have missed something,
  but the things I found are the only behaviours of the IDE wrt locking that
  I ever experienced. ]

But can you create and edit newly created projects? It would be worth a shot
to create a project which uses gb.form.editor. Put a TextEditor on your form
and run it. I think this editor control is the same one that the IDE uses.
Let's see if it accepts key presses outside of the IDE or not.

gb-readonly1.png (57K) Download Attachment
gb-readonly2.png (55K) Download Attachment

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Fernando Cabral
Thank you, Tobi for your patience explaining this whole thing.
Your comments make sense. No, as to the keyboard issue,
what I can not figure out boils down to two things: First, I have not
changed anything. At least that I know of.
Second, why I only see the problem with the gambas IDE? Everything else is
working fine.

I also have tried this:
a) installed Linux Mint 18.1 in a virtual box
b) mounted the original directories in the virtual box
c) installed gambas in the virtual machine
d) edited the original files in the virtual environment -- no problems
whatsoever.

The keyboard is the same. The hardware is the same. The operating system is
the same.
Nevertheless, the IDE behavior is different.

It must have something to do with the keyboard driver, but what?

I still  can't see why this would only affect Gambas and nothing else. Not
even applications developed with gambas.

Anyway, I am glad you and others have tried so hard to help me.

- fernando

> [...]
> shot
> to create a project which uses gb.form.editor. Put a TextEditor on your
> form
> and run it. I think this editor control is the same one that the IDE uses.
> Let's see if it accepts key presses outside of the IDE or not.

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Karl Reinl
Am Samstag, den 13.05.2017, 14:11 -0300 schrieb Fernando Cabral:

> Thank you, Tobi for your patience explaining this whole thing.
> Your comments make sense. No, as to the keyboard issue,
> what I can not figure out boils down to two things: First, I have not
> changed anything. At least that I know of.
> Second, why I only see the problem with the gambas IDE? Everything else is
> working fine.
>
> I also have tried this:
> a) installed Linux Mint 18.1 in a virtual box
> b) mounted the original directories in the virtual box
> c) installed gambas in the virtual machine
> d) edited the original files in the virtual environment -- no problems
> whatsoever.
>
> The keyboard is the same. The hardware is the same. The operating system is
> the same.
> Nevertheless, the IDE behavior is different.
>
> It must have something to do with the keyboard driver, but what?
>
> I still  can't see why this would only affect Gambas and nothing else. Not
> even applications developed with gambas.
>
> Anyway, I am glad you and others have tried so hard to help me.
>
> - fernando

Salut Fernando,

1. I see you are using virtual box. Not knowing what is your
keyboard-problem box, and if you can risk or no, to damage this box with
all the data. Clone this box to a virtual box, then you can play around
with driver updates etc.

2. did you try it with a new created user on that keyboard-problem box.

3. By that way, why not driving your gambas developing box as a virtual
box?
--
Amicalement

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Glaucio Araujo
Let's see...​

> Have you installed something different that might have changed
> the IDE behavior?

​Not that I know. The problem happened just after Gambas fresh install.

> Now, after running gambas as superuser ("sudo gambas3") I have given up the
> keyboard hypothesis (at least for now). I went back to the hypothesis that
> it has to do with some file or directory permission. Nevertheless, I have
> not been able to determine which file or directory it could be. As to the
> project tree, I have opened it up completely (rwxrwxrwx for the directories
> and at least rw-rw-rw- for the files. Even for the hidden ones.  It did not
> help.

​Same here. But I know that it has nothing to do with permissions, since
it's possible to paste with the mouse.

> I have exhausted my bag of tricks so I have resorted to either of two ugly
> workarounds:  running gambas as superuser or doing the edition in a virtual
> machine. In the last option, I just mount the project tree as a directory
> in the virtual machine. Then I make the changes in the virtual machine and
> test them in the real machine. Cumbersome, but has worked.
> I would ask you to try running "sudo gambas3". If you can edit your files
> as superuser, then it will be very likely that we have exactly the same
> problem.

Running as "sudo":

gda@acer:~$ sudo gambas3
[sudo] senha para gda:
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
  Extension:    130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
  Resource id:  0x141

​+ ​I'm wondering if the editor uses Java. There was some similar issues
with keyboards and java code editors on Linux in the past.

+ I'm also thinking about some Gtk+2/3 missing or conflicting library,
since my system has Xubuntu and Gnome 3.24.1

+ Maybe some Xorg setting could do the trick, as it is the only difference
I can think between VM/Desktop install.

​Abraço!​

---

Gláucio de Araujo

Mail : [hidden email]
TIM  : (11) 95900-7801 (WhatsApp / Telegram)

Gláucio wrote:
> gda@acer:~$ sudo gambas3
> [sudo] senha para gda:
> X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
> Extension:    130 (MIT-SHM)
>  Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
 > Resource id:  0x141

I don´t get this error. It runs smoothly. But then, I am running Mint 18.1
(and the same on the virtual machine...)

It seems Benoît thinks it has to do with keyboard input. He suggested I
changed Xinput method, but did not give any hints on what to change.

- fernando

> [...]
>

> ​Abraço!​
>

> ​
> ​
> ---
>
> Gláucio de Araujo
>
> Mail : [hidden email]
> TIM  : (11) 95900-7801 (WhatsApp / Telegram)
> ​

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Keyboard locked -- insisting one more time

Jussi Lahtinen
Can you both send Xorg.0.log (usually in /var/log/)?

Jussi