Newbie

Scott Castaline
(Sorry for the chopped-up earlier e-mail)

It's been many years since I've done any kind of programming, my tech
background is predominately been hardware. I am wondering if anyone can
point me in the right direction for tutorial material or text books on
BASIC, that would be relevant and current to GAMBAS.

TIA
Scott Castaline

Re: Newbie

Rob Kudla
On Tue October 11 2005 14:40, Scott Castaline wrote:
> It's been many years since I've done any kind of programming, my
> tech background is predominately been hardware. I am wondering if
> anyone can point me in the right direction for tutorial material or
> text books on BASIC, that would be relevant and current to GAMBAS.

Linux Format (a UK-based desktop-oriented Linux magazine, sadly quite
expensive when bought here in the US) is doing a monthly BASIC column
now using Gambas.  They jumped right in with their first issue with a
little database browser application.  Unfortunately, that's the only
tutorial I know of at present apart from some small and
badly-outdated ones on the Gambas wiki.  There's at least one
textbook that sounds like it's near completion, but it may be a
little while before you can buy one commercially.

However, if you haven't done any programming in anything that looks
like Gambas, you may be able to use Visual Basic tutorials to at
least point you in the right direction.  Gambas is probably closer to
VB.net than VB6 or earlier, but I personally find it far less
annoying than either incarnation of VB.  A good grasp of
object-oriented programming will also be a huge help to you with
Gambas, since it's much more object-centric than VB is (but less than
Java.)

But it's only been 9 months since Gambas 1.0 was first released, and
developer tools tend to either have to be heavily adopted or come
from a company called Microsoft to get Dummies(tm) books in their
first year.  I think before too long Gambas will start getting a lot
more attention, especially if version 2.0 somehow ends up working
under Windows without Cygwin.

On a side note, on the same trip to the bookstore (Barnes and Noble)
on which I discovered the Linux Format BASIC column, I was wandering
by the computer section and noticed that the Linux stuff has been
moved out of the bottom rows of the developer section to a section by
itself with all the Dummies books and desktop-oriented books on the
top shelf at eye level.  Having just read earlier that day that Linux
was failing to meet analysts' 2001 predictions for desktop market
share, it was a nice confirmation that people are interested in
Linux, and not just to run their web servers: bookstores don't put
obscure hackers' toys on prominent display.

Rob

Re: Newbie

Scott Castaline
Rob Kudla wrote:

>On Tue October 11 2005 14:40, Scott Castaline wrote:
>

>>It's been many years since I've done any kind of programming, my
>>tech background is predominately been hardware. I am wondering if
>>anyone can point me in the right direction for tutorial material or
>>text books on BASIC, that would be relevant and current to GAMBAS.
>>

>Linux Format (a UK-based desktop-oriented Linux magazine, sadly quite
>expensive when bought here in the US) is doing a monthly BASIC column
>now using Gambas.  They jumped right in with their first issue with a
>little database browser application.  Unfortunately, that's the only
>tutorial I know of at present apart from some small and
>badly-outdated ones on the Gambas wiki.  There's at least one
>textbook that sounds like it's near completion, but it may be a
>little while before you can buy one commercially.
>
>However, if you haven't done any programming in anything that looks
>like Gambas, you may be able to use Visual Basic tutorials to at
>least point you in the right direction.  Gambas is probably closer to
>VB.net than VB6 or earlier, but I personally find it far less
>annoying than either incarnation of VB.  A good grasp of
>object-oriented programming will also be a huge help to you with
>Gambas, since it's much more object-centric than VB is (but less than
>Java.)
>
>But it's only been 9 months since Gambas 1.0 was first released, and
>developer tools tend to either have to be heavily adopted or come
>from a company called Microsoft to get Dummies(tm) books in their
>first year.  I think before too long Gambas will start getting a lot
>more attention, especially if version 2.0 somehow ends up working
>under Windows without Cygwin.
>
>On a side note, on the same trip to the bookstore (Barnes and Noble)
>on which I discovered the Linux Format BASIC column, I was wandering
>by the computer section and noticed that the Linux stuff has been
>moved out of the bottom rows of the developer section to a section by
>itself with all the Dummies books and desktop-oriented books on the
>top shelf at eye level.  Having just read earlier that day that Linux
>was failing to meet analysts' 2001 predictions for desktop market
>share, it was a nice confirmation that people are interested in
>Linux, and not just to run their web servers: bookstores don't put
>obscure hackers' toys on prominent display.
>
>Rob

Thanks for the response. Any personal suggestions on book
titles/authors? There appears to be so many but as I've found in the
past only a few are usually worth anything.

TIA

Scott

Re: Newbie

Kai-3
Scott Castaline wrote:

> Rob Kudla wrote:
>
>> On Tue October 11 2005 14:40, Scott Castaline wrote:
>>

>>> It's been many years since I've done any kind of programming, my
>>> tech background is predominately been hardware. I am wondering if
>>> anyone can point me in the right direction for tutorial material or
>>> text books on BASIC, that would be relevant and current to GAMBAS.
>>>

>> Linux Format (a UK-based desktop-oriented Linux magazine, sadly quite
>> expensive when bought here in the US) is doing a monthly BASIC column
>> now using Gambas.  They jumped right in with their first issue with a
>> little database browser application.  Unfortunately, that's the only
>> tutorial I know of at present apart from some small and
>> badly-outdated ones on the Gambas wiki.  There's at least one
>> textbook that sounds like it's near completion, but it may be a
>> little while before you can buy one commercially.
>> However, if you haven't done any programming in anything that looks
>> like Gambas, you may be able to use Visual Basic tutorials to at
>> least point you in the right direction.  Gambas is probably closer to
>> VB.net than VB6 or earlier, but I personally find it far less
>> annoying than either incarnation of VB.  A good grasp of
>> object-oriented programming will also be a huge help to you with
>> Gambas, since it's much more object-centric than VB is (but less than
>> Java.)
>>
>> But it's only been 9 months since Gambas 1.0 was first released, and
>> developer tools tend to either have to be heavily adopted or come
>> from a company called Microsoft to get Dummies(tm) books in their
>> first year.  I think before too long Gambas will start getting a lot
>> more attention, especially if version 2.0 somehow ends up working
>> under Windows without Cygwin.
>>
>> On a side note, on the same trip to the bookstore (Barnes and Noble)
>> on which I discovered the Linux Format BASIC column, I was wandering
>> by the computer section and noticed that the Linux stuff has been
>> moved out of the bottom rows of the developer section to a section by
>> itself with all the Dummies books and desktop-oriented books on the
>> top shelf at eye level.  Having just read earlier that day that Linux
>> was failing to meet analysts' 2001 predictions for desktop market
>> share, it was a nice confirmation that people are interested in
>> Linux, and not just to run their web servers: bookstores don't put
>> obscure hackers' toys on prominent display.
>>
>> Rob

> Thanks for the response. Any personal suggestions on book
> titles/authors? There appears to be so many but as I've found in the
> past only a few are usually worth anything.
>
> TIA
>
> Scott

Hmm not that im aware of, though i will make one small seggestion check
out www.realsoftware.com

Re: Newbie

Rob Kudla
On Wed October 12 2005 11:19, K Windle wrote:
> > Thanks for the response. Any personal suggestions on book
> > titles/authors? There appears to be so many but as I've found in
> > the past only a few are usually worth anything.
> Hmm not that im aware of, though i will make one small seggestion
> check out www.realsoftware.com

Yeah, RealBASIC is also in the same league as VB and Gambas, and there
are 6 or 7 books out there about it (it has the advantages of being
very well-established and recently cross-platform with a nice MDI
user interface, and the disadvantage of costing $400 a seat for each
platform with no source.)

I found the VB for Dummies book useful for getting an intern up to
speed 6 or 7 years ago.... no idea how good it would be now, or how
applicable it would be to Gambas.

Rob