Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

12

Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

gambas-user mailing list
Hi,

I have just uploaded the source tarball of Gambas 3.10 on Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download

Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release public?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Tony Morehen
I'll compile and start using it right away.  In the meantime, a feature
request:

Currently, a menu item with children does nothing before displaying its
child menu items.  I propose that the parent menu raise a click event
before displaying its children.  This would allow you to show/not show
enable/disable child menu items based on the current state of the app or
its environment.

For example, when the edit menu is clicked, you can enable/disable the
paste item based on the state of the clipboard.

This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have click
handlers for parent menus.

On 2017-07-18 11:56 AM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the source tarball of Gambas 3.10 on Sourceforge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
>

> Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release
> public?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
seems the problems in odbc are still present, why? please gambas witout
odbc are a toy to play with mysql and postgres!

Le 18/07/2017 à 19:12, Tony Morehen a écrit :

> I'll compile and start using it right away.  In the meantime, a feature
> request:
>
> Currently, a menu item with children does nothing before displaying its
> child menu items.  I propose that the parent menu raise a click event
> before displaying its children.  This would allow you to show/not show
> enable/disable child menu items based on the current state of the app or
> its environment.
>
> For example, when the edit menu is clicked, you can enable/disable the
> paste item based on the state of the clipboard.
>
> This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have click
> handlers for parent menus.

Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

SORRY i send and all the conversation was beetwen benoit and me without
noted it!!! seerending!

> Of course, for proprietary databases, this is a problem. We must wait for
> zxMarce to fix the driver. That's life...

ahhh that's better response rather than "use mysql its great" or "migrate
to mysql".. uffff

ok the problem its that i cannot upgrade my OS's so i hope gambas will not
raise depends again until this issues wirth odbc have solved!

Help us "zxMarce" you are our only hope!! "you are the chose man" (umm that
sound like a movie frase, sounds familiar ! )

Le 18/07/2017 à 22:15, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
> SORRY i send and all the conversation was beetwen benoit and me without
> noted it!!! seerending!

>> Of course, for proprietary databases, this is a problem. We must wait for
>> zxMarce to fix the driver. That's life...
 >
> ... >

Moreover, I think you can workaround the problems of the ODBC driver by
reimplementing the Result class in Gambas, overriding the accurate
properties (Count) and methods (Move...), and fixing the default
behaviour according to the Connection type.

Something like that:

' Result class

Export

Property Read Count As Integer

Private Sub Count_Read() As Integer

   If Me.Connection.Type = "odbc" Then
     ' workaround
   Else
     Return Super.Count
   Endif

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
wheantime i do that, but are quite slower and ocmplicated due memory hungy
in large datasets!

also i notes that when i work with collections the IDE becomes slower, some
icons dissapears and then hangs after many minutes of use it!

i'll try to report this before but a low interes happened! the problem
persist in gambas 3.10

> Le 18/07/2017 à 22:15, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :
>
>> SORRY i send and all the conversation was beetwen benoit and me without
>> noted it!!! seerending!

>> :
>>
>> Of course, for proprietary databases, this is a problem. We must wait for
>>> zxMarce to fix the driver. That's life...
>>>

>> ... >
>>

> Moreover, I think you can workaround the problems of the ODBC driver by
> reimplementing the Result class in Gambas, overriding the accurate
> properties (Count) and methods (Move...), and fixing the default behaviour
> according to the Connection type.
>
> Something like that:
>
> ' Result class
>
> Export
>
> Property Read Count As Integer
>
> Private Sub Count_Read() As Integer
>
>   If Me.Connection.Type = "odbc" Then
>     ' workaround
>   Else
>     Return Super.Count
>   Endif
>
> End
>

> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Tony Morehen
Because when I saw them I confused them with Show and Hide methods.  Duh!

Another request.  Is it possible to expose/export the DirCache class.
I've been using it in several derivatives of some of your other classes
(Dirview, FileChooser etc)

BTW I have several compoments I have been working on.  How do I submit
them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.

One is Filebrower, based on Dirview.  It's drop in compatible with
DirView but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files
in the tree and to sort folders first.  It also has an added event
GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.

Another component is UpDown.  It is derived from Spinbar with a property
(Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar.  I needed a SpinBox with
a float value.

On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
found floating on the web.

Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
Gambas.  So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text
Editor, a File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry
Pi and plays audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects.  I intend
to upload these to the software farm, testing permitted.  Attached is a
screen shot showing off some of these projects.

screenshot.jpg (395K) Download Attachment

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

> Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
> Gambas.  So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text Editor, a
> File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry Pi and plays
> audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects.  I intend to upload these
> to the software farm, testing permitted.  Attached is a screen shot showing
> off some of these projects.

its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
componente to fixed due  make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
most easy to make its gambas

i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
have enough support and vision!

> BTW I have several compoments I have been working on.  How do I submit
> them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.
>
> One is Filebrower, based on Dirview.  It's drop in compatible with DirView
> but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files in the
> tree and to sort folders first.  It also has an added event
> GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
> Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.
>
> Another component is UpDown.  It is derived from Spinbar with a property
> (Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar.  I needed a SpinBox with a
> float value.
>
> On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
> found floating on the web.
>
> the best place to put your code its a git repo, please use gitlab due
github are close to closed source and privative software

> On 2017-07-18 03:39 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>
>> Le 18/07/2017 à 19:12, Tony Morehen a écrit :
>>
>>> I'll compile and start using it right away.  In the meantime, a feature
>>> request:
>>>
>>> Currently, a menu item with children does nothing before displaying its
>>> child menu items.  I propose that the parent menu raise a click event
>>> before displaying its children.  This would allow you to show/not show
>>> enable/disable child menu items based on the current state of the app or
>>> its environment.
>>>
>>> For example, when the edit menu is clicked, you can enable/disable the
>>> paste item based on the state of the clipboard.
>>>
>>> This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have click
>>> handlers for parent menus.
>>>

>> Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Fernando Cabral
"2017-07-18 19:27 GMT-03:00 PICCORO McKAY Lenz <[hidden email]>:

its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
> componente to fixed due  make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
> most easy to make its gambas
>
> i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
> have enough support and vision!

Piccoro, I want to give you for free my two cents on this issue.

As I see it, Gambas is a free-to-use language. Free and "as is". *No
guarantees*. It means, take it, or leave it.

It was developed and made available by a volunteer with the eventual help
of other volunteers. So, I can't understand why you insist in saying things
like "gambas [has] not enough support and vision!".

I don't think this is a nice thing to say when you have free lunch. The
least I can say is that you should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Or,
as the Romans used to say, "Noli equi dentes inspicere donati". This can be
translated to plain English (I think) as  "don't be ungrateful when you
receive a gift.

If you need a good ODBC interface and Gambas doesn't provide it, perhaps
you can develop it yourself and make it available for other people that may
have the same need. That would be much appreciated, I am sure.

Otherwise, you can use other available libraries (I am sure there are many).
If neither is attractive to you, then you can give up Gambas and try
something different.

I think saying Gambas has not "enough support and vision" is not a good way
to obtain what you want.

Those are my two cents. After that, I'll shut my mouth up as far as this
issue is concerned.

Best regards

- fernando

> > Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
> > Gambas.  So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text
> Editor, a
> > File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry Pi and
> plays
> > audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects.  I intend to upload
> these
> > to the software farm, testing permitted.  Attached is a screen shot
> showing
> > off some of these projects.
> >
> its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
> componente to fixed due  make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
> most easy to make its gambas
>
> i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
> have enough support and vision!
>

> > BTW I have several compoments I have been working on.  How do I submit
> > them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.
> >
> > One is Filebrower, based on Dirview.  It's drop in compatible with
> DirView
> > but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files in the
> > tree and to sort folders first.  It also has an added event
> > GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
> > Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.
> >
> > Another component is UpDown.  It is derived from Spinbar with a property
> > (Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar.  I needed a SpinBox with a
> > float value.
> >
> > On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
> > found floating on the web.
> >
> > the best place to put your code its a git repo, please use gitlab due
> github are close to closed source and privative software

> or

> >> Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: [hidden email]
Facebook: [hidden email]
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
by second chance fernando you dont have the complete overall of the threath
and also the problem of odbc has all my colaboration... please search for
the bugtracketr..

> [...]
> > >
> > > the best place to put your code its a git repo, please use gitlab due
> > github are close to closed source and privative software

> feature

> its
> show
> > or

> the

> click

> Fernando Cabral
> Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Facebook: [hidden email]
> Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Wickr ID: fernandocabral
> WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
> Skype:  fernandojosecabral
> Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
> Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>
> Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
> nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Sebastian Kulesz
Hi Benoît,

I wanted to ask you what were the component changes since the last release.
I am on an exchange in Germany and couldn't really follow the progress on
this development cycle.
Specifically, any added or removed components. And any changes of
dependencies. With that information, and as soon as I have time, I will
update the PPAs.

Regards,
Sebastian

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the source tarball of Gambas 3.10 on Sourceforge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas
> 3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
>
> Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release public?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

herberth guzman
Regards Benoit

In the menu New Project, the list of the types of applications that we want
to create are shown, example:

Application QT
(Application using the component QT5 or QT4)

Application GTK+ 3
(pplication using the component GTK+3)

Application Web
(Scrip CGI).

It is possible to create a new one that says:

"Web Form Application"
(You can create Web Form)

Herberth Guzman

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

> "Web Form Application"
> (You can create Web Form)

ah right its missing of can at least choose/convert the cgi to a mix of cgi
and form and let user removed manually if not want any of forms

seems something of gtk2 are removed? i only can see gtk3 or i forget
something in compliation!?

> Herberth Guzman

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

herberth guzman
My system tray does not work with gb.qt5.
I remember you had it run in revision # 7098

I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.

It is possible to temporarily run the system tray, please.

Thanks

Herberth Guzman

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

> I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.

the gnome-puach also dropped some about it..

i think that this component must have a citation that oly works with normal
desktops.. like lxde and mate..
openbox+fbpanel and lxde still use the old/today behaviour.. why follow
those desktops that want to change everithig are working?

> It is possible to temporarily run the system tray, please.
>

> Thanks
>

> Herberth Guzman

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Fabien Bodard-4
you need to use the gb.gui.trayicon component

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.gui.trayicon

witch  support all the protocols

>> I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.
>>
> the gnome-puach also dropped some about it..
>
> i think that this component must have a citation that oly works with normal
> desktops.. like lxde and mate..
> openbox+fbpanel and lxde still use the old/today behaviour.. why follow
> those desktops that want to change everithig are working?
>

>> It is possible to temporarily run the system tray, please.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Herberth Guzman

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
i like it:!

> but, alas, KDE and Ubuntu implementations are mutually incompatible! Well
done guys

totally right!!, that's why i dont like such stupid thing and changes..

> you need to use the gb.gui.trayicon component
>
> http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.gui.trayicon
>
> witch  support all the protocols

> >> I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.
> >>
> > the gnome-puach also dropped some about it..
> >
> > i think that this component must have a citation that oly works with
> normal
> > desktops.. like lxde and mate..
> > openbox+fbpanel and lxde still use the old/today behaviour.. why follow
> > those desktops that want to change everithig are working?
> >

> >> It is possible to temporarily run the system tray, please.
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> Herberth Guzman

> Fabien Bodard

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Gianluigi
Thank you Benoit,
here it seems to work well.

Regards
Gianluigi

[System]
Gambas=3.10
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=4.4.0-83-generic
Architecture=x86
Distribution=Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Desktop=XFCE
Theme=Cleanlooks
Language=it_IT.UTF-8
Memory=3018M

[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the source tarball of Gambas 3.10 on Sourceforge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas
> 3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
>
> Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release public?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Christof Thalhofer

Am 18.07.2017 um 17:56 schrieb Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user:

> I have just uploaded the source tarball of Gambas 3.10 on Sourceforge:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
>
> Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release public?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I will try it out at the weekend ... then I have time.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur