Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
hi, sorry for revivin old threaths, but i'm interesting in gambas in other
systems..

its there any new or something about gambas in androit? tablets?

Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:51:16 -0400
> From: Rob Kudla <[hidden email]>

One way you could get a virtual keyboard and mouse input is to use one of
> the Linux installers available on Google Play (preferably a free one;
> I've.....

this looks like a complicated solution... for users i mean... but
reasonable for a static instalation by "service"

> Running an Android X server app in conjunction with one of those Linux
> installers would be another option, probably a cleaner one, but that's
> one....

sound better.. still complicated

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer
>
> Running Linux in a chroot (as many Android Linux installers will set up for
> you) will probably give you far better performance than a virtual
> machine...

this may affect the performance due limited resource in device..

> As you can see, there's no easy turnkey solution, but a number of
> possibilities. Personally, I'd go with something like Phonegap, which just
> uses Javascript/jquery and HTML, if I wanted to write Android apps (at
> least the kind of app I would have used Gambas for on the Linux desktop)

that env "thing" only are for MAC and guindows...
seems easy to develop.. but dev env are very limited..

> without dealing with Java. You can even put them in Google Play if you
> want.
>
> Rob

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

Rolf-Werner Eilert-2
Basically, someone would have to do what Benoit once did: sacrifice
"some" time and write a library that links Gambas functions to Android GUI.

Android is similar to Linux, at its core. So very basic Gambas functions
should run on an Android without too much adaptation. The GUI however is
completely different, with finger-wipes etc., that would have to be
re-designed.

If someone would do that, the community would be happy!

Rolf

Am 10.07.2017 um 21:22 schrieb PICCORO McKAY Lenz:

> hi, sorry for revivin old threaths, but i'm interesting in gambas in other
> systems..
>
> its there any new or something about gambas in androit? tablets?
>
> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:51:16 -0400
>> From: Rob Kudla <[hidden email]>
>>
> One way you could get a virtual keyboard and mouse input is to use one of
>> the Linux installers available on Google Play (preferably a free one;
>> I've.....
>>
> this looks like a complicated solution... for users i mean... but
> reasonable for a static instalation by "service"
>

>> Running an Android X server app in conjunction with one of those Linux
>> installers would be another option, probably a cleaner one, but that's
>> one....
>>
> sound better.. still complicated
>

>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer
>>
>> Running Linux in a chroot (as many Android Linux installers will set up for
>> you) will probably give you far better performance than a virtual
>> machine...
>>
> this may affect the performance due limited resource in device..
>

>> As you can see, there's no easy turnkey solution, but a number of
>> possibilities. Personally, I'd go with something like Phonegap, which just
>> uses Javascript/jquery and HTML, if I wanted to write Android apps (at
>> least the kind of app I would have used Gambas for on the Linux desktop)
>>
> that env "thing" only are for MAC and guindows...
> seems easy to develop.. but dev env are very limited..
>

>> without dealing with Java. You can even put them in Google Play if you
>> want.
>>
>> Rob

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

> Basically, someone would have to do what Benoit once did: sacrifice "some"
> time and write a library that links Gambas functions to Android GUI.
those that have the time does not have the money or food in that time

> Android is similar to Linux, at its core. So very basic Gambas functions
> should run on an Android without too much adaptation. The GUI however is
> completely different, with finger-wipes etc., that would have to be
> re-designed.
its a hard work.. well was just a question for time.. i remenber that
benoit said that gambas has a close relation with X so well..

> If someone would do that, the community would be happy!
of course.. ok thanks for response...

> Rolf
>

> Am 10.07.2017 um 21:22 schrieb PICCORO McKAY Lenz:
>>
>> hi, sorry for revivin old threaths, but i'm interesting in gambas in other
>> systems..
>>
>> its there any new or something about gambas in androit? tablets?
>>
>> Message: 1
>>>
>>> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:51:16 -0400
>>> From: Rob Kudla <[hidden email]>
>>>
>> One way you could get a virtual keyboard and mouse input is to use one of
>>>
>>> the Linux installers available on Google Play (preferably a free one;
>>> I've.....
>>>
>> this looks like a complicated solution... for users i mean... but
>> reasonable for a static instalation by "service"
>>

>>> Running an Android X server app in conjunction with one of those Linux
>>> installers would be another option, probably a cleaner one, but that's
>>> one....
>>>
>> sound better.. still complicated
>>

>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer
>>>
>>> Running Linux in a chroot (as many Android Linux installers will set up
>>> for
>>> you) will probably give you far better performance than a virtual
>>> machine...
>>>
>> this may affect the performance due limited resource in device..
>>

>>> As you can see, there's no easy turnkey solution, but a number of
>>> possibilities. Personally, I'd go with something like Phonegap, which
>>> just
>>> uses Javascript/jquery and HTML, if I wanted to write Android apps (at
>>> least the kind of app I would have used Gambas for on the Linux desktop)
>>>
>> that env "thing" only are for MAC and guindows...
>> seems easy to develop.. but dev env are very limited..
>>

>>> without dealing with Java. You can even put them in Google Play if you
>>> want.
>>>
>>> Rob

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

Fabien Bodard-4
Le 11 juil. 2017 01:39, "PICCORO McKAY Lenz" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Basically, someone would have to do what Benoit once did: sacrifice "some"
> time and write a library that links Gambas functions to Android GUI.
those that have the time does not have the money or food in that time

> Android is similar to Linux, at its core. So very basic Gambas functions
> should run on an Android without too much adaptation. The GUI however is
> completely different, with finger-wipes etc., that would have to be
> re-designed.
its a hard work.. well was just a question for time.. i remenber that
benoit said that gambas has a close relation with X so well..

Not really. We just need x functions for the desktop lib. All can be done
from cocoa to w32ctl passing by android toolkit.
Just matter of knowledge and time as Gambas is just a compiler with term
output on the basis depending only on glibc.

> If someone would do that, the community would be happy!
of course.. ok thanks for response...

> Rolf
>

> Am 10.07.2017 um 21:22 schrieb PICCORO McKAY Lenz:
>>
>> hi, sorry for revivin old threaths, but i'm interesting in gambas in
other

>> systems..
>>
>> its there any new or something about gambas in androit? tablets?
>>
>> Message: 1
>>>
>>> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:51:16 -0400
>>> From: Rob Kudla <[hidden email]>
>>>
>> One way you could get a virtual keyboard and mouse input is to use one of
>>>
>>> the Linux installers available on Google Play (preferably a free one;
>>> I've.....
>>>
>> this looks like a complicated solution... for users i mean... but
>> reasonable for a static instalation by "service"
>>

>>> Running an Android X server app in conjunction with one of those Linux
>>> installers would be another option, probably a cleaner one, but that's
>>> one....
>>>
>> sound better.. still complicated
>>

>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.darkside.XServer
>>>
>>> Running Linux in a chroot (as many Android Linux installers will set up
>>> for
>>> you) will probably give you far better performance than a virtual
>>> machine...
>>>
>> this may affect the performance due limited resource in device..
>>

>>> As you can see, there's no easy turnkey solution, but a number of
>>> possibilities. Personally, I'd go with something like Phonegap, which
>>> just
>>> uses Javascript/jquery and HTML, if I wanted to write Android apps (at
>>> least the kind of app I would have used Gambas for on the Linux desktop)
>>>
>> that env "thing" only are for MAC and guindows...
>> seems easy to develop.. but dev env are very limited..
>>

>>> without dealing with Java. You can even put them in Google Play if you
>>> want.
>>>
>>> Rob

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

> Not really. We just need x functions for the desktop lib. All can be done
> from cocoa to w32ctl passing by android toolkit.
> Just matter of knowledge and time as Gambas is just a compiler with term
> output on the basis depending only on glibc.

umm It is encouraging to hear that, which means that only time is really
required, since the rest is to read and "translate" calls appropriately.

But we have a manpower's  deficit. For sample, my work depends on adjusting
the odbc part in gambas, as in other projects like FreeTDS ...

i can colaborate but due lack of odbc funtionality, i rirght now have lot
fo work at my job.. modify the code to work as spected..

any man that can give a try to this support on tables? as all said, its
just time dedication and further reading..

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

gambas-user mailing list
Le 12/07/2017 à 17:26, PICCORO McKAY Lenz a écrit :

>> Not really. We just need x functions for the desktop lib. All can be done
>> from cocoa to w32ctl passing by android toolkit.
>> Just matter of knowledge and time as Gambas is just a compiler with term
>> output on the basis depending only on glibc.
>>

> umm It is encouraging to hear that, which means that only time is really
> required, since the rest is to read and "translate" calls appropriately.
>
> But we have a manpower's  deficit. For sample, my work depends on adjusting
> the odbc part in gambas, as in other projects like FreeTDS ...
>
> i can colaborate but due lack of odbc funtionality, i rirght now have lot
> fo work at my job.. modify the code to work as spected..
>
> any man that can give a try to this support on tables? as all said, its
> just time dedication and further reading..

The first step is to compile Gambas on a tablet, except the GUI components.

The big job is making a GUI component based on Android libraries, if
possible. Or maybe Qt 5 can run on Android?

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

> The first step is to compile Gambas on a tablet, except the GUI components.

as i see, compiling a app "for" androit its not same as "to" androit..  as
happened also in Mac, we need the runtime of gcc/glibc equivalent if the
compilation are native..

in other case, will need the complete (stupi very heavy) development env of
androit, the (in)fammous SDK

> The big job is making a GUI component based on Android libraries, if
> possible. Or maybe Qt 5 can run on Android?

runs, as Maebo does.. but... there's a standar qt5/qt4 installation for
androit?

> --
> Benoît Minisini

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

alexchernoff
There is a software called NSBasic that can build Android apps and is very similar to VB/Gambas.

Not free but works fine.

Re: Gambas in a tablet. Is it possible?

> There is a software called NSBasic that can build Android apps and is very

it's another mess up, a guindows-only stupid software...

the idea its complete develop in linux to deploy in the others/all
platforms, i'm tyred of guindows