Support for postgresql materialized view

Support for postgresql materialized view

Marco Ancillotti
Hi all,

i've made a patch to gb.db.postgresql to use materialized view.

It simply add materialized view type to the query that fetch tables.

Can it be included in the next version of gambas so I don't need to
patch it anytime ?

thank's in advance.

Marco.

materialized.diff (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Support for postgresql materialized view

Benoît Minisini
Le 08/04/2015 10:35, gambas a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> i've made a patch to gb.db.postgresql to use materialized view.
>
> It simply add materialized view type to the query that fetch tables.
>
> Can it be included in the next version of gambas so I don't need to
> patch it anytime ?
>
> thank's in advance.
>
> Marco.

Of course, if you are sure that everything works.

Just tell me what is a "materialized" view and what the difference with
a normal view is.

It can even go in Gambas 3.7.2 if it is backward-compatible (see that as
a bugfix).

Re: Support for postgresql materialized view

Marco Ancillotti

Hi benoît , I use that simple patch in all my project using materialized
view from almost 6 month , I think it's working well.

For the question of difference between standard view and materialized one:
A view is a virtual table created everytime you read it , created with a
query.
A materialized view is a table created by a query that can be updated
every time.
The main difference is that when a materialized view is created it's
stored at creation time or when you update it , and there's no need to
be calculated every time you read it.

bye,
marco.

Le 08/04/2015 12:15, gambas a écrit :

> Hi benoît , I use that simple patch in all my project using materialized
> view from almost 6 month , I think it's working well.
>
> For the question of difference between standard view and materialized one:
> A view is a virtual table created everytime you read it , created with a
> query.
> A materialized view is a table created by a query that can be updated
> every time.
> The main difference is that when a materialized view is created it's
> stored at creation time or when you update it , and there's no need to
> be calculated every time you read it.
>
> bye,
> marco.

Commited in revision #7024.