The Gambas Book

John Rittinghouse
Folks,

Just to clarify things about the book I have been working on. It is not
a "for profit" book.  I have agreed to put the material in the public
domain after the book is published, had cleared this with the publisher
long before this issue came up.  It has NEVER been my intent to write
this book for money. In fact, I am fronting most of the cost of
publication for this book myself.  I simply wanted to create a better
set of documentation for the Gambas community as a whole since I feel it
is something I can do fairly well.

Some have already started flaming me and that is fine.  I don't want to
upset anyone...if there is anyone out there that feels I have slighted
them or may be trying to take advantage, simply send me an email and I
will try to respect your wishes about using material you may feel is
owned by yourself regarding the book.

As an aside, and for general interest, material, any material,
copyrighted or not, that is placed in the public domain can be used for
any purpose as long as it is properly cited and referenced and credit is
given where appropriate (WIPO rules, not mine).  I have never intended
to do anything other than the best job i can to try and further the
Gambas project. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.

John W. Rittinghouse, Ph.D., CISM

Re: The Gambas Book

Rob Kudla
On Sat September 17 2005 16:31, John Rittinghouse wrote:
> As an aside, and for general interest, material, any material,
> copyrighted or not, that is placed in the public domain can be used

I know you meant well with this, but "copyrighted" and "public domain"
are mutually exclusive terms.  Placing something into the public
domain means disclaiming any copyright or other proprietary right the
author had on the work.  And in Berne Convention countries at least,
it must be done explicitly, except when a work's copyright expires
(which currently means the work was created in 1923 or earlier, and
that its author died more than 70 years ago.)

While I think most of us who've contributed to the Gambas wiki and
thus the Gambas documentation did so intending for it to be spread
far and wide along with Gambas itself, all the entries are explicitly
copyrighted by the author(s) who created them, using the notice I
mentioned in my last post.  This could even create problems with the
distribution of Gambas, though I can't imagine that happening, and as
you've already seen, can create problems for those of us who'd want
to incorporate some of that documentation into a book.

> for any purpose as long as it is properly cited and referenced and
> credit is given where appropriate (WIPO rules, not mine).  I have

Once a work is in the public domain, you don't need to cite or
reference or credit anything or anyone, because no one owns it
anymore.  It's not a well-regarded practice to claim public domain
works as your own, but people incorporate parts of them all the time.

However, if an author still holds copyright on a work, and hasn't
spelled out terms under which people may automatically use that work,
the terms are "all rights reserved".  This limits our use of the
material to the level of fair use.... quotations and attributed
excerpts are fine, but wholesale copying will get us into trouble if
someone has a problem with it.  I have to think that all the Gambas
contributors being from different countries will only complicate
matters.

To correct a common fallacy (that you yourself haven't used), anything
covered by the GPL is not public domain, as the mechanism for
enforcing the GPL is a copyright.

See the wikipedia entry on public domain for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

Rob

Re: The Gambas Book

On Saturday 17 September 2005 22:31, John Rittinghouse wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Just to clarify things about the book I have been working on. It is not
> a "for profit" book.  I have agreed to put the material in the public
> domain after the book is published, had cleared this with the publisher
> long before this issue came up.  It has NEVER been my intent to write
> this book for money. In fact, I am fronting most of the cost of
> publication for this book myself.  I simply wanted to create a better
> set of documentation for the Gambas community as a whole since I feel it
> is something I can do fairly well.
>
> Some have already started flaming me and that is fine.  I don't want to
> upset anyone...if there is anyone out there that feels I have slighted
> them or may be trying to take advantage, simply send me an email and I
> will try to respect your wishes about using material you may feel is
> owned by yourself regarding the book.
>
> As an aside, and for general interest, material, any material,
> copyrighted or not, that is placed in the public domain can be used for
> any purpose as long as it is properly cited and referenced and credit is
> given where appropriate (WIPO rules, not mine).  I have never intended
> to do anything other than the best job i can to try and further the
> Gambas project. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.
>

> John W. Rittinghouse, Ph.D., CISM

Hi, John.

I apologize for letting people think that you could "steal" the documentation.
I just wanted things to be clear for everybody around there.

My fault was that I didn't think about the documentation licence, which is by
default copyrighted by their respective authors.

And I think it will be cool if the chapters of your book could be integrated
in the online documentation.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: The Gambas Book

Steve Starr
If you look in the book you will notice that the crystal icons are used.

Legal Info.
All material on this website is protected by copyright with the owner
being Everaldo.com. One hard copy can be made and used strictly for
personal reference only.
You may not otherwise reproduce, distribute, transmit or sell this
information to any person or body in any way incorporated into any
transmittable medium or document. Nor are you permitted to modify,
alter or misappropriate this information without the prior written
permission of Everaldo.
Elements of this website covered by copyright include images,
graphics, icons, and HTML coding. You may not reproduce, distribute,
transmit or sell these elements to any person or body incorporated
into any transmittable medium or document. No icon image or any other
graphics found in this site may be use under any circumstance, in any
situation nor in any media without prior consent of the author via
email.
Everaldo.com will defend its intellectual property rights to the
fullest extent of the law.

And with the combunation of the copyrighted online gambas
documentation i would say that make's it really hard for people to
take any short cuts when developing for profit or for anything other
than personal use.

Boy if writeing a book is this hard on linux i could only imagen what
kinda hoops windows developers have to jump threw.

Basicly this poor guy has no other choice but to give a digital copy
of this book away for free.

On 9/25/05, Benoit Minisini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 17 September 2005 22:31, John Rittinghouse wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Just to clarify things about the book I have been working on. It is not
> > a "for profit" book.  I have agreed to put the material in the public
> > domain after the book is published, had cleared this with the publisher
> > long before this issue came up.  It has NEVER been my intent to write
> > this book for money. In fact, I am fronting most of the cost of
> > publication for this book myself.  I simply wanted to create a better
> > set of documentation for the Gambas community as a whole since I feel it
> > is something I can do fairly well.
> >
> > Some have already started flaming me and that is fine.  I don't want to
> > upset anyone...if there is anyone out there that feels I have slighted
> > them or may be trying to take advantage, simply send me an email and I
> > will try to respect your wishes about using material you may feel is
> > owned by yourself regarding the book.
> >
> > As an aside, and for general interest, material, any material,
> > copyrighted or not, that is placed in the public domain can be used for
> > any purpose as long as it is properly cited and referenced and credit is
> > given where appropriate (WIPO rules, not mine).  I have never intended
> > to do anything other than the best job i can to try and further the
> > Gambas project. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.
> >

> > John W. Rittinghouse, Ph.D., CISM
> >

> Hi, John.
>
> I apologize for letting people think that you could "steal" the
> documentation.
> I just wanted things to be clear for everybody around there.
>
> My fault was that I didn't think about the documentation licence, which is
> by
> default copyrighted by their respective authors.
>
> And I think it will be cool if the chapters of your book could be integrated
>
> in the online documentation.

> Benoit Minisini
> mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re: The Gambas Book

Rob Kudla
On Mon September 26 2005 13:21, Steve Starr wrote:
> If you look in the book you will notice that the crystal icons are
> used.

I'm pretty sure that those icons shipped with Qt and KDE are available
under a less restrictive license, but I haven't looked into it.
Certainly Linspire, SuSE, Mandrake and others have used the Crystal
icons in their promotional materials, but who knows, they may have
negotiated separately.

I haven't requested a copy of the book because I don't want to
unintentionally imitate John in my own Gambas writing.

Rob

Re: The Gambas Book

Steve Starr
I would like to see your book rob.