The Merchant Of Venice

Benoît Minisini
This is not a mail related to Gambas :-), but just a question for people that
speaks english better than me.

In the Merchant Of Venice (Shakespeare), there is the following dialog:

SALANIO: That's certain, if the devil may be her judge.
SHYLOCK: My own flesh and blood to rebel!
SALANIO: Out upon it, old carrion! rebels it at these years?
SHYLOCK: I say, my daughter is my flesh and blood.

What does 'Out upon it' mean ? And 'rebels it at these years?'

If someone can help me, I will be very happy!

Benoit Minisini

Re: The Merchant Of Venice

Eldon Eller
I am not a Shakespeare scholar, but here is my understanding:
"Out upon it" is not  phrase to be found in modern English. From the
context I take it to mean "Stop it" or "knock it off" or "nonsense." I
think "rebels it at these years?" is to say "she is old enough to decide
for herself; she is not rebelling."

Benoit Minisini wrote:

>This is not a mail related to Gambas :-), but just a question for people that
>speaks english better than me.
>
>In the Merchant Of Venice (Shakespeare), there is the following dialog:

>SALANIO: That's certain, if the devil may be her judge.
>SHYLOCK: My own flesh and blood to rebel!
>SALANIO: Out upon it, old carrion! rebels it at these years?
>SHYLOCK: I say, my daughter is my flesh and blood.
>
>What does 'Out upon it' mean ? And 'rebels it at these years?'
>
>If someone can help me, I will be very happy!
>
>Regards,

Re: The Merchant Of Venice

Benoît Minisini
On Tuesday 11 October 2005 21:07, Eldon Eller wrote:

> I am not a Shakespeare scholar, but here is my understanding:
> "Out upon it" is not  phrase to be found in modern English. From the
> context I take it to mean "Stop it" or "knock it off" or "nonsense." I
> think "rebels it at these years?" is to say "she is old enough to decide
> for herself; she is not rebelling."
>
> Benoit Minisini wrote:
> >This is not a mail related to Gambas :-), but just a question for people
> > that speaks english better than me.
> >
> >In the Merchant Of Venice (Shakespeare), there is the following dialog:

> >SALANIO: That's certain, if the devil may be her judge.
> >SHYLOCK: My own flesh and blood to rebel!
> >SALANIO: Out upon it, old carrion! rebels it at these years?
> >SHYLOCK: I say, my daughter is my flesh and blood.
> >
> >What does 'Out upon it' mean ? And 'rebels it at these years?'
> >
> >If someone can help me, I will be very happy!
> >
> >Regards,

Thank you very much! My french traduction of that is a non sense. What you say
is far more logical...

Benoit Minisini