Trouble with CSVFile Component

markwalt
Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a very simple program that pulls in one CSV File, and spits out another, based on what's inside the file.

I see from the Wiki that there's a function for that, in the db.utils component.  However, using the very sparse example provided, I'm getting errors.

I'm using 3.8.4, which is the "current" version in my distro (Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS), and the documentation says the feature was available as of Gambas 3.7.

Here's the code I'm using:

Public Sub Main()

  Dim sCSVGrid As String
  Dim sCSVImport As String
  Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile

  Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file you are importing"
  Input sCSVImport
  Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file containing the grid you are creating"
  Input sCSVGrid

  hCSVFile = New CsvFile(sCSVImport)

End

Obviously, it's not doing anything yet, but this simple bit of code blows up at

 Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile

saying CsvFile is an unknown identifier.

Yet, this code was taken from the example, I just added a few lines.

From what I unerstand from the documentation, anything in db.util should be available, but I guess I'm missing something, probably something simple.

As you can see, I'm a bit of a newb.   Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Trouble with CSVFile Component

Tony Morehen
Did you add gb.utils component to your project?

Project->Properties->Components & check gb.utils

On 2017-07-27 07:10 PM, markwalt wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to write a very simple program that pulls in one CSV File, and
> spits out another, based on what's inside the file.
>
> I see from the Wiki that there's a function for that, in the db.utils
> component.  However, using the very sparse example provided, I'm getting
> errors.
>
> I'm using 3.8.4, which is the "current" version in my distro (Xubuntu
> 16.04.2 LTS), and the documentation says the feature was available as of
> Gambas 3.7.
>
> Here's the code I'm using:
>
> Public Sub Main()
>
>    Dim sCSVGrid As String
>    Dim sCSVImport As String
>    Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile
>

>    Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file you are
> importing"
>    Input sCSVImport
>    Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file containing the
> grid you are creating"
>    Input sCSVGrid
>

>    hCSVFile = New CsvFile(sCSVImport)
>

> End
>
> Obviously, it's not doing anything yet, but this simple bit of code blows up
> at
>
>   Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile
>
> saying CsvFile is an unknown identifier.
>
> Yet, this code was taken from the example, I just added a few lines.
>
> >From what I unerstand from the documentation, anything in db.util should be
> available, but I guess I'm missing something, probably something simple.
>
> As you can see, I'm a bit of a newb.   Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Trouble with CSVFile Component

markwalt
Nope.

Told ya I was a newb.  20+ years ago I used to do a lot of work in VB, and
especially VBA.  It's been a while, and my programming muscles have
atrophied a bit.

And while Gambas feels very familiar, it's also quite different, and I'm
still acclimating to it.

Thanks for your help :-)

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Tony Morehen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Did you add gb.utils component to your project?
>
> Project->Properties->Components & check gb.utils
>

> On 2017-07-27 07:10 PM, markwalt wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to write a very simple program that pulls in one CSV File, and
>> spits out another, based on what's inside the file.
>>
>> I see from the Wiki that there's a function for that, in the db.utils
>> component.  However, using the very sparse example provided, I'm getting
>> errors.
>>
>> I'm using 3.8.4, which is the "current" version in my distro (Xubuntu
>> 16.04.2 LTS), and the documentation says the feature was available as of
>> Gambas 3.7.
>>
>> Here's the code I'm using:
>>
>> Public Sub Main()
>>
>>    Dim sCSVGrid As String
>>    Dim sCSVImport As String
>>    Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile
>>            Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file
>> you are
>> importing"
>>    Input sCSVImport
>>    Print "Enter the complete path and filename of the CSV file containing
>> the
>> grid you are creating"
>>    Input sCSVGrid
>>         hCSVFile = New CsvFile(sCSVImport)
>>          End
>>
>> Obviously, it's not doing anything yet, but this simple bit of code blows
>> up
>> at
>>
>>   Dim hCSVFile As CsvFile
>>
>> saying CsvFile is an unknown identifier.
>>
>> Yet, this code was taken from the example, I just added a few lines.
>>
>> >From what I unerstand from the documentation, anything in db.util should
>> be
>> available, but I guess I'm missing something, probably something simple.
>>
>> As you can see, I'm a bit of a newb.   Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
>>

>> --

-Mark

Re: Trouble with CSVFile Component

markwalt wrote
Hi guys,

I'm trying to write a very simple program that pulls in one CSV File, and spits out another, based on what's inside the file.
I use CSV files all the time. I find them easy and fast. Have a look at the attached example, hopefully it will help.

CLIOnly1.tar

Check out www.gambas.one

Re: Trouble with CSVFile Component

> And while Gambas feels very familiar, it's also quite different, and I'm
> still acclimating to it.

always will be difference in any case, please dont assume any new artifac
always want to emulate guindows..

> Thanks for your help :-)

in the IDE *there's a menu help, in that there's a entry about farm
software, here there are a lot of example, that helps so much.. its
recomended too* apart of the
attached example of Charlie CLIOnly1.tar <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.
com/file/n59913/CLIOnly1.tar>