Weather app in Software Farm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Weather app in Software Farm

Tony Morehen
I just uploaded a Weather systray app to the software farm.
Comments/suggestions welcome.  Enjoy.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gambas-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Weather app in Software Farm

Charlie
Tony Morehen wrote
I just uploaded a Weather systray app to the software farm.
Comments/suggestions welcome.  Enjoy.
Hi Tony,

I tried your program on a computer at work and got it working after adding gb.qt4. Linux Mint does not have QT5 yet. I tried it a home but even after fixing QT I got: -

"sni-qt/5871" WARN  12:51:31.765 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE

After 20 seconds FMain appeared but with no data.

Not sure what the problem is.

Check out www.gambas.one

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Weather app in Software Farm

Tony Morehen
In reply to this post by Tony Morehen
I just uploaded a version that uses the gb.gui component instead of

gb.qt5.  It also has a workaround that may fix your error. That error
arises when your system does not have a systray enabled.  See:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/278104/app-icons-dont-appear-in-system-tray-on-linux-mint-17-3

I haven't been able to test since I'm running Manjaro.  What version of
Mint are you using : Cinnamon, Mate Xfce? 17.? 18.?


On 2017-07-15 09:39 AM, Charlie wrote:

> Tony Morehen wrote
>> I just uploaded a Weather systray app to the software farm.
>> Comments/suggestions welcome.  Enjoy.
> Hi Tony,
>
> I tried your program on a computer at work and got it working after adding
> *gb.qt4*. Linux Mint does not have QT5 yet. I tried it a home but even after
> fixing QT I got: -
>
> *"sni-qt/5871" WARN  12:51:31.765 void
> StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE *
>
> After 20 seconds FMain appeared but with no data.
>
> Not sure what the problem is.
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Check out www.gambas.one
> --
> View this message in context: http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/Weather-app-in-Software-Farm-tp59768p59771.html
> Sent from the gambas-user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gambas-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gambas-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Weather app in Software Farm

Charlie
I have tried out the latest version 0.1.9 and it worked on Mint 18 and the TryIcon is fine. I put in my location and it finds it but I notice that Line 98 in Config.class: -

Settings["Default/Location"] = Replace(txtLocation.Text, " ", "")

takes out any spaces so Saint Peter Port becomes SaintPeterPort and then it fails to load the weather. I changed the line to: -

Settings["Default/Location"] = Trim(txtLocation.Text)
and it works but is too large to fit on the Form:-



I have had a look at OpenWeather Database and the largest 'location' is: -
Posëlok Psikhonevrologicheskoy Bol’nitsy Imeni Karamzina

which seems an excessively long name but it is there!

Check out www.gambas.one

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Weather app in Software Farm

Tony Morehen
Hi Charlie, I just published a new version of gbWeather.  Changes include:

1)  No editing is done to the location name, except for the Trim() you
suggested.

2) LocationID is now used for both OpenWeather and Yahoo Weather
lookups.  That means changes to location after the locationid has been
found don't matter any more.

3) To save space, "Weather" is no longer automatically appended to the
title.

4) Config now includes a setting for a location nickname to be used as
the title.  This lets the user provide a name that fits. The user can
also use the nickname to add back "Weather" (see 3.) The nickname
defaults to everything to the left of the first comma in the location name.

BTW, I may not have mentioned that you can drag the weather window
around the screen by clicking on the title.  It will remember the new
position when started next.


On 2017-07-27 01:01 PM, Charlie wrote:

> I have tried out the latest version 0.1.9 and it worked on Mint 18 and the
> TryIcon is fine. I put in my location and it finds it but I notice that Line
> 98 in Config.class: -
>
> *Settings["Default/Location"] = Replace(txtLocation.Text, " ", "")*
>
> takes out any spaces so Saint Peter Port becomes SaintPeterPort and then it
> fails to load the weather. I changed the line to: -
>
> *Settings["Default/Location"] = Trim(txtLocation.Text)*
> and it works but is too large to fit on the Form:-
>
> <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n59899/Weather.png>
>
> I have had a look at OpenWeather Database and the largest 'location' is: -
> *Posëlok Psikhonevrologicheskoy Bol’nitsy Imeni Karamzina*
>
> which seems an excessively long name but it is there!
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Check out www.gambas.one
> --
> View this message in context: http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/Weather-app-in-Software-Farm-tp59768p59899.html
> Sent from the gambas-user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Gambas-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Gambas-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user
Loading...