dynamic created Menus

12

dynamic created Menus

Karl Reinl
Salut,

how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
Form.
I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not created
in the forms class.

MenuGroupTag-0.0.2.tar.gz (16K) Download Attachment

Re: dynamic created Menus

Fabien Bodard-4
I think the good way is this one :-)

Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
Dim hMenuItem As Object
Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)

        hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
        hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
        Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
        hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
        hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
        Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
        hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"

End

First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
the given menu container.

then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with object.attach.

> Salut,
>
> how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
> Form.
> I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
> The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not created
> in the forms class.

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
As you can dynamically assign a shortcut?

This code do not work:

hMenuItem.Text = Shortcut("this works", "{[Alt_R]t}")

Regards

Gianluigi

> I think the good way is this one :-)
>
> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
> Dim hMenuItem As Object
> Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)
>
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>
> End
>

> First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
> the given menu container.
>
> then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with
> object.attach.

> > Salut,
> >
> > how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
> > Form.
> > I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
> > The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not created
> > in the forms class.

> Fabien Bodard

Re: dynamic created Menus

Charlie
Have a look at the code attached, the menu and menu items are all created in code. I think this will do what you need.

MenuExample.tar

Hope it helps.

Check out www.gambas.one

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi Charlie,
thank you for the answer.
Unfortunately, If I understand correctly, your example does not answer to
my needs nor that of Karl.

Regards
Gianluigi

> Have a look at the code attached, the menu and menu items are all created
> in
> code. I think this will do what you need.
> <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n58401/MenuExample.png>
> MenuExample.tar
> <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n58401/MenuExample.tar>
> Hope it helps.
>

> -----
> Check out www.gambas.one

Re: dynamic created Menus

Karl Reinl
Am Montag, den 06.02.2017, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Fabien Bodard:

> I think the good way is this one :-)
>
> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
> Dim hMenuItem As Object
> Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)
>
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>
> End
>

> First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
> the given menu container.
>
> then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with object.attach.

> > Salut,
> >
> > how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
> > Form.
> > I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
> > The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not created
> > in the forms class.

Salut Fabien,

it does what I wanna do, thanks

--
Amicalement

Re: dynamic created Menus

Karl seems happy now. I have modified the program for you Gianluigi, does this do what you want?

MenuExample.tar

Check out www.gambas.one

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hello Charlie,

Your project does exactly what I wanted.
Thank you very much

Regards
Gianluigi

> Karl seems happy now. I have modified the program for you Gianluigi, does
> this do what you want?
> <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n58415/Menu%2520example2.png>
> MenuExample.tar
> <http://gambas.8142.n7.nabble.com/file/n58415/MenuExample.tar>
>

> -----
> Check out www.gambas.one

Re: dynamic created Menus

Karl Reinl
Am Montag, den 06.02.2017, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Fabien Bodard:

> I think the good way is this one :-)
>
> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
> Dim hMenuItem As Object
> Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)
>
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>         hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>
> End
>

> First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
> the given menu container.
>
> then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with object.attach.

> > Salut,
> >
> > how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
> > Form.
> > I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
> > The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not created
> > in the forms class.

Salut,

Fabien, gave me a solution for my problem. But I do not understand why I
can attach Items to the menu, but not their events?
--
Amicalement

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi Karl,

If you want to work with events, you should use a class.
See attached example.

Regards

Gianluigi

> Am Montag, den 06.02.2017, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Fabien Bodard:
> > I think the good way is this one :-)
> >
> > Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
> > Dim hMenuItem As Object
> > Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)
> >
> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
> >         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
> >         hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
> >         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
> >         hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
> >
> > End
> >

> > First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
> > the given menu container.
> >
> > then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with
> object.attach.

> > > Salut,
> > >
> > > how can I use dynamic created Menus, when they are made outside the
> > > Form.
> > > I expanded an example from Gianluigi to show what I want.
> > > The problem is, the Click event is not fired, if the menu is not
> created
> > > in the forms class.
> > >

> Salut,
>
> Fabien, gave me a solution for my problem. But I do not understand why I
> can attach Items to the menu, but not their events?
> --
> Amicalement
> Charlie

MenuGroupTagWithClasse-0.0.2.tar.gz (15K) Download Attachment

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
While should not, it work also in a Module.

' Gambas module file

Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)

  Dim hMenuItem As Object

  hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
  hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
  hMenuItem.Tag = "This do not work"
  hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
  hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
  hMenuItem.Tag = "Also this do not work"

End

Public Sub mnCharacters_Click()

  Print Last.tag & " - " & Last.Text

> Hi Karl,
>
> If you want to work with events, you should use a class.
> See attached example.
>
> Regards
>
> Gianluigi

>> Am Montag, den 06.02.2017, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Fabien Bodard:
>> > I think the good way is this one :-)
>> >
>> > Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
>> > Dim hMenuItem As Object
>> > Dim hParent As Object = Object.Parent(hMenu)
>> >
>> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>> >         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>> >         hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>> >         hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu)
>> >         Object.Attach(hMenuItem, hParent, "mnu_this_dont_work")
>> >         hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>> >
>> > End
>> >

>> > First find the class that handle menus events with object.parent on
>> > the given menu container.
>> >
>> > then attach the new menu events to the same class instance with
>> object.attach.

>> created
>> > >

>> Salut,
>>
>> Fabien, gave me a solution for my problem. But I do not understand why I
>> can attach Items to the menu, but not their events?
>> --
>> Amicalement
>> Charlie

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi all,
first let me say that I do not want to teach anybody anything, I take part
in discussions to learn telling you what I think I know.
If I gave a different impression I apologize, it's my poor English that has
struck again.

And now the question, how is it that an event is in a module?
See attached

Thank you
Gianluigi

> While should not, it work also in a Module.
>
> ' Gambas module file
>
> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
>
>   Dim hMenuItem As Object
>
>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
>   hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>   hMenuItem.Tag = "This do not work"
>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
>   hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>   hMenuItem.Tag = "Also this do not work"
>
> End
>
> Public Sub mnCharacters_Click()
>
>   Print Last.tag & " - " & Last.Text
>
> End

>> Hi Karl,
>>
>> If you want to work with events, you should use a class.
>> See attached example.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Gianluigi

>>> object.attach.

>>> created
>>> > >

>>> Salut,
>>>
>>> Fabien, gave me a solution for my problem. But I do not understand why I
>>> can attach Items to the menu, but not their events?
>>> --
>>> Amicalement
>>> Charlie

MenuWithModuleMistery-0.0.2.tar.gz (16K) Download Attachment

Re: dynamic created Menus

Fabien Bodard-4
A module is a class but static. Like i you declare all element of a
class as static

> Hi all,
> first let me say that I do not want to teach anybody anything, I take part
> in discussions to learn telling you what I think I know.
> If I gave a different impression I apologize, it's my poor English that has
> struck again.
>
> And now the question, how is it that an event is in a module?
> See attached
>
> Thank you
> Gianluigi

>> While should not, it work also in a Module.
>>
>> ' Gambas module file
>>
>> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
>>
>>   Dim hMenuItem As Object
>>
>>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
>>   hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
>>   hMenuItem.Tag = "This do not work"
>>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
>>   hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
>>   hMenuItem.Tag = "Also this do not work"
>>
>> End
>>
>> Public Sub mnCharacters_Click()
>>
>>   Print Last.tag & " - " & Last.Text
>>
>> End

>>> Hi Karl,
>>>
>>> If you want to work with events, you should use a class.
>>> See attached example.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Gianluigi

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
But if it is static, because I can write this?

Public Sub Form_Open()

  Dim foo As New MMenu

  foo.AddMenuFromModule(MenuCharacters)

End

I have trouble understanding

Regards
Gianluigi

> A module is a class but static. Like i you declare all element of a
> class as static

> > Hi all,
> > first let me say that I do not want to teach anybody anything, I take
> part
> > in discussions to learn telling you what I think I know.
> > If I gave a different impression I apologize, it's my poor English that
> has
> > struck again.
> >
> > And now the question, how is it that an event is in a module?
> > See attached
> >
> > Thank you
> > Gianluigi

> >> While should not, it work also in a Module.
> >>
> >> ' Gambas module file
> >>
> >> Public Sub AddMenuFromOutsideForm(hMenu As Menu)
> >>
> >>   Dim hMenuItem As Object
> >>
> >>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
> >>   hMenuItem.Text = "this don't work"
> >>   hMenuItem.Tag = "This do not work"
> >>   hMenuItem = New Menu(hMenu) As "mnCharacters"
> >>   hMenuItem.Text = "this also don't work'"
> >>   hMenuItem.Tag = "Also this do not work"
> >>
> >> End
> >>
> >> Public Sub mnCharacters_Click()
> >>
> >>   Print Last.tag & " - " & Last.Text
> >>
> >> End

> the

> why I

> Fabien Bodard

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi Fabien,
let's see if I can clarify this.
In Gambas there are three different types of class:
- The real Class and its to be instantiated through the constructor (_new).
- The Form which is a class already instantiated, but can receive the
parameters which exposes the constructor (_new).
- The Module is a class already instantiated, and that does not expose the
constructor.

Therefore I can refer to a module with Me, I can use inside events and I
can even assign _new with another name to the module even if do not really
need.
I'm on the right track?

Regards
Gianluigi

> But if it is static, because I can write this?
>
> Public Sub Form_Open()
>
>   Dim foo As New MMenu
>
>   foo.AddMenuFromModule(MenuCharacters)
>
> End
>
> I have trouble understanding
>
> Regards
> Gianluigi

>> A module is a class but static. Like i you declare all element of a
>> class as static

>> > Hi all,
>> > first let me say that I do not want to teach anybody anything, I take
>> part
>> > in discussions to learn telling you what I think I know.
>> > If I gave a different impression I apologize, it's my poor English that
>> has
>> > struck again.
>> >
>> > And now the question, how is it that an event is in a module?
>> > See attached
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> > Gianluigi

>> the

>> why I

>> --
>> Fabien Bodard

Re: dynamic created Menus

Tobias Boege-2
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Gianluigi wrote:

> Hi Fabien,
> let's see if I can clarify this.
> In Gambas there are three different types of class:
> - The real Class and its to be instantiated through the constructor (_new).
> - The Form which is a class already instantiated, but can receive the
> parameters which exposes the constructor (_new).
> - The Module is a class already instantiated, and that does not expose the
> constructor.
>
> Therefore I can refer to a module with Me, I can use inside events and I
> can even assign _new with another name to the module even if do not really
> need.
> I'm on the right track?

This is not how I would understand the matter. First of all, you have your
normal classes in Gambas. You can alter their behaviour by setting certain
"flags" in your class. These flags are actually keywords in the Gambas
language and you have to specify them at the beginning of your class file
at compile time.

  o CREATE PRIVATE tells the interpreter that the current class is not
    instanciable.
  o CREATE STATIC tells the interpreter to create an automatic instance of
    the class which is used automatically when you use the class name like
    an object.

There is also EXPORT and INHERITS, but they're of minor relevance for the
topic at hand.

None of these flags influence the presence of ME or events. They are always
available.

Now, a module is a normal class in which every symbol is implicitly made
static by the compiler. You can still create objects from a module but that
isn't useful because you don't have dynamic symbols in a module. You will
just end up with multiple objects that all reference the same data.

The only way the Form class is any special is because it has dedicated
support for .form files in the compiler. Other than that it is a normal
class -- which uses the CREATE STATIC flag. Quoting the definition of the
Form class from gb.qt4/src/CWindow.cpp:

1466 GB_DESC CFormDesc[] =
1467 {
1468         GB_DECLARE("Form", sizeof(CFORM)), GB_INHERITS("Window"),
1469         GB_AUTO_CREATABLE(),
1470
1471         GB_STATIC_METHOD("Main", NULL, CFORM_main, NULL),
1472         GB_STATIC_METHOD("Load", NULL, CFORM_load, "[(Parent)Control;]"),
1473         GB_METHOD("_new", NULL, CFORM_new, NULL),
1474
1475         FORM_DESCRIPTION,
1476
1477         GB_END_DECLARE
1478 };

The macro GB_AUTO_CREATABLE() is the C rendition of CREATE STATIC. As you
can see, Form just inherits Window and adds three further methods. These
methods are actually what makes Form classes behave the special way they
do, like automatically showing on program startup and being their own event
observers. (And, well, there's the FORM_DESCRIPTION macro but don't worry
about it.) My point is, the behaviour of a Form is accomplished by standard
Gambas mechanisms, that are available to everyone (only the conversion of
.form files to executable code needs specific support in the compiler).

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi Tobias,
I thank you a lot for explanations, in fact I was too concise because, but
not only, of my English.
One thing, when you say: "You can still create objects from a module but
that
isn't useful because you don't have dynamic symbols in a module", what
exactly do you mean by "symbols", because in a module we can insert
dynamics variables, functions, sub etc.

Regards
Gianluigi

> [...]
> observers. (And, well, there's the FORM_DESCRIPTION macro but don't worry
> about it.) My point is, the behaviour of a Form is accomplished by standard
> Gambas mechanisms, that are available to everyone (only the conversion of
> .form files to executable code needs specific support in the compiler).

Re: dynamic created Menus

Tobias Boege-2
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Gianluigi wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
> I thank you a lot for explanations, in fact I was too concise because, but
> not only, of my English.
> One thing, when you say: "You can still create objects from a module but
> that
> isn't useful because you don't have dynamic symbols in a module", what
> exactly do you mean by "symbols", because in a module we can insert

By symbols I mean variables, properties and methods (constants and events,
too, but they don't matter here). If you write them into a module, they are
automatically static. You can't have dynamic ones in a module. Attached is
a project which demonstrates this.

test-0.0.1.tar.gz (15K) Download Attachment

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
oh I finally understand!
Thanks Tobias, you are a great.
You made me happy :-)

A big big greeting
Gianluigi

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Gianluigi wrote:
> > Hi Tobias,
> > I thank you a lot for explanations, in fact I was too concise because,
> but
> > not only, of my English.
> > One thing, when you say: "You can still create objects from a module but
> > that
> > isn't useful because you don't have dynamic symbols in a module", what
> > exactly do you mean by "symbols", because in a module we can insert
> > dynamics variables, functions, sub etc.
> >

> By symbols I mean variables, properties and methods (constants and events,
> too, but they don't matter here). If you write them into a module, they are
> automatically static. You can't have dynamic ones in a module. Attached is
> a project which demonstrates this.

Re: dynamic created Menus

Gianluigi
Hi Tobias,

kindly can you deepen the concept of static.
See attached project.

Regards
Gianluigi

> oh I finally understand!
> Thanks Tobias, you are a great.
> You made me happy :-)
>
> A big big greeting
> Gianluigi

>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Gianluigi wrote:
>> > Hi Tobias,
>> > I thank you a lot for explanations, in fact I was too concise because,
>> but
>> > not only, of my English.
>> > One thing, when you say: "You can still create objects from a module but
>> > that
>> > isn't useful because you don't have dynamic symbols in a module", what
>> > exactly do you mean by "symbols", because in a module we can insert
>> > dynamics variables, functions, sub etc.
>> >

>> By symbols I mean variables, properties and methods (constants and events,
>> too, but they don't matter here). If you write them into a module, they
>> are
>> automatically static. You can't have dynamic ones in a module. Attached is
>> a project which demonstrates this.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tobi
>>
>> --
>> "There's an old saying: Don't change anything... ever!" -- Mr. Monk

TestFunction-0.0.1.tar.gz (15K) Download Attachment
12