makefile !!!

12

makefile !!!

Daniel-22
what i do to know the flags used by g++ to compile ?
i think the compiler use -fno-exceptions flag when i compile some c++
code !!!!

daniel

ps: i can't catch exceptions in the code

Re: makefile !!!

Benoît Minisini
On Friday 07 October 2005 01:52, Daniel wrote:
> what i do to know the flags used by g++ to compile ?
> i think the compiler use -fno-exceptions flag when i compile some c++
> code !!!!
>
> daniel
>
> ps: i can't catch exceptions in the code

Can you avoid using exceptions?

If *really* you can't, you have to add that to your Makefile.am file:

gb_<component name>_la_CXXFLAGS = $(AM_CXXFLAGS) -fexceptions

Benoit Minisini

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
Benoit Minisini wrote:

>On Friday 07 October 2005 01:52, Daniel wrote:
>

>>what i do to know the flags used by g++ to compile ?
>>i think the compiler use -fno-exceptions flag when i compile some c++
>>code !!!!
>>
>>daniel
>>
>>ps: i can't catch exceptions in the code
>>

>Can you avoid using exceptions?
>
>If *really* you can't, you have to add that to your Makefile.am file:
>
>gb_<component name>_la_CXXFLAGS = $(AM_CXXFLAGS) -fexceptions
>
>Regards,

sorry
but the ibpp library (firebird) use exceptions, that made 3 weeks i
break the head "why I cannot catch exception any more"
thank you

daniel

ps:the driver for firebird is in attachement

gb.db.firebird.tar.gz (60K) Download Attachment

Re: makefile !!!

pv-4
On 07/10/2005 16:35, Daniel wrote:

> sorry
> but the ibpp library (firebird) use exceptions, that made 3 weeks i
> break the head "why I cannot catch exception any more"
> thank you

Aha! Now we're finally talking! :)
I banged my head for some days to try to find out what was wrong, the reason
why I kept receiving the dreaded signal #6 from Gambas!

I finally found that it was a connection problem on the port used by firebird,
but it took a while because I didn't get any useful feedback from the component.

However, please note that I just recreated the same situation (hence the same
connection problem) but the firebird component returned with a user/password
failure, so it wouldn't have been of great help even if the component and
exceptions worked from the very beginning.

If I can give a suggestion, try to make the component issue more significant
error messages, in order to better identify possible problems.

Thanks anyway for your good and useful work!

Ciao,
Piero

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> On 07/10/2005 16:35, Daniel wrote:
>
>> sorry
>> but the ibpp library (firebird) use exceptions, that made 3 weeks i
>> break the head "why I cannot catch exception any more"
>> thank you
>

> Aha! Now we're finally talking! :)
> I banged my head for some days to try to find out what was wrong, the
> reason why I kept receiving the dreaded signal #6 from Gambas!
>
> I finally found that it was a connection problem on the port used by
> firebird, but it took a while because I didn't get any useful feedback
> from the component.
>
> However, please note that I just recreated the same situation (hence
> the same connection problem) but the firebird component returned with
> a user/password failure, so it wouldn't have been of great help even
> if the component and exceptions worked from the very beginning.
>
> If I can give a suggestion, try to make the component issue more
> significant error messages, in order to better identify possible
> problems.
>
> Thanks anyway for your good and useful work!
>
> Ciao,
> Piero

ok, I note your suggestion
can you explain the situation which causes this error?  or to give
detailles please

daniel

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> On 07/10/2005 16:35, Daniel wrote:
>
>> sorry
>> but the ibpp library (firebird) use exceptions, that made 3 weeks i
>> break the head "why I cannot catch exception any more"
>> thank you
>

> Aha! Now we're finally talking! :)
> I banged my head for some days to try to find out what was wrong, the
> reason why I kept receiving the dreaded signal #6 from Gambas!
>
> I finally found that it was a connection problem on the port used by
> firebird, but it took a while because I didn't get any useful feedback
> from the component.
>
> However, please note that I just recreated the same situation (hence
> the same connection problem) but the firebird component returned with
> a user/password failure, so it wouldn't have been of great help even
> if the component and exceptions worked from the very beginning.
>
> If I can give a suggestion, try to make the component issue more
> significant error messages, in order to better identify possible
> problems.
>
> Thanks anyway for your good and useful work!
>
> Ciao,
> Piero

the new code in attachement with the modifications you want

daniel

gb.db.firebird.tar.gz (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: makefile !!!

danielcampos
Thanks, Benoit:

Did you already received the famous invitation to the International Conference? My boss said it was sent to you in english a weeks ago... do you plan to come here?

Regards,

D. Campos

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,16 € TTC/min)

Re: makefile !!!

pv-4
Hi Daniel.

On 08/10/2005 00:36, Daniel wrote:

> the new code in attachement with the modifications you want

Hmm... the code didn't compile.
In main.cpp the following lines

catch (IBPP::Exception& e){
    std::cout<<e.what()<<std::endl;

cause a compilation error.
I don't know whether it's a IBPP version problem (I am using 2.3.5) but I don't
see any "what" method in IBPP::Exception class in ibpp.h or in other places.

Anyway, I changed all occurrences of e.what() into e.ErrorMessage() (don't know
if that's correct, I'm not into ibpp programming...) and at least the compiler
stopped complaining. :)

After installation however, I realized that signal #6 is back, so it seems that
exceptions have gone one more time, unlike the previous version which had
exceptions working.
I tried to change the -fno-exceptions flag into -fexceptions but nothing changed.

Could you please double check the code and makefiles?
Thanks!

Ciao,
Piero

Re: makefile !!!

Benoît Minisini
On Saturday 08 October 2005 12:44, PV wrote:

> Hi Daniel.
>
> On 08/10/2005 00:36, Daniel wrote:
> > the new code in attachement with the modifications you want
>
> Hmm... the code didn't compile.
> In main.cpp the following lines
>
> catch (IBPP::Exception& e){
>     std::cout<<e.what()<<std::endl;
>
> cause a compilation error.
> I don't know whether it's a IBPP version problem (I am using 2.3.5) but I
> don't see any "what" method in IBPP::Exception class in ibpp.h or in other
> places.
>
> Anyway, I changed all occurrences of e.what() into e.ErrorMessage() (don't
> know if that's correct, I'm not into ibpp programming...) and at least the
> compiler stopped complaining. :)
>
> After installation however, I realized that signal #6 is back, so it seems
> that exceptions have gone one more time, unlike the previous version which
> had exceptions working.
> I tried to change the -fno-exceptions flag into -fexceptions but nothing
> changed.
>
> Could you please double check the code and makefiles?
> Thanks!
>
> Ciao,
> Piero

You have to send Daniel a backtrace of the stack when it crashes, with gdb.
How to do that is explained in the 'troubleshooting' section of the web site.

Benoit Minisini

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> Hi Daniel.
>
> On 08/10/2005 00:36, Daniel wrote:
>
>> the new code in attachement with the modifications you want
>

> Hmm... the code didn't compile.
> In main.cpp the following lines
>
> catch (IBPP::Exception& e){
>    std::cout<<e.what()<<std::endl;
>
> cause a compilation error.
> I don't know whether it's a IBPP version problem (I am using 2.3.5)
> but I don't
> see any "what" method in IBPP::Exception class in ibpp.h or in other
> places.
>
> Anyway, I changed all occurrences of e.what() into e.ErrorMessage()
> (don't know if that's correct, I'm not into ibpp programming...) and
> at least the compiler stopped complaining. :)
>
> After installation however, I realized that signal #6 is back, so it
> seems that
> exceptions have gone one more time, unlike the previous version which had
> exceptions working.
> I tried to change the -fno-exceptions flag into -fexceptions but
> nothing changed.
>
> Could you please double check the code and makefiles?
> Thanks!
>
> Ciao,
> Piero

yes this is correct,
this code is for the 2.4.4 ibpp library (README)
1)dowload the last version and install it and also the ibpp.h header
1.a) do ldconfig
2) rename the directory gb.db.firebird in gb.db.firebird.ok and untar
unzip the file in attachement
3) reconfig + ./configure ... etc (the makefile.am in src is modif. to
-fexecptions)
4) a small prayer

daniel

gb.db.firebird.tar.gz (58K) Download Attachment

Re: makefile !!!

pv-4
On 08/10/2005 14:35, Daniel wrote:

> this code is for the 2.4.4 ibpp library (README)
> 1)dowload the last version and install it and also the ibpp.h header
> 1.a) do ldconfig
> 2) rename the directory gb.db.firebird in gb.db.firebird.ok and untar
> unzip the file in attachement
> 3) reconfig + ./configure ... etc (the makefile.am in src is modif. to
> -fexecptions)
> 4) a small prayer

Ok, upgraded ibpp to 2.4.4, the compilation now runs smoothly.
However, exceptions still don't seem to work properly and the program stops
unexpectedly by raising signal #6.

Following Benoit's suggestion, here's a backtrace of the stack when the program
stops:

[Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 7383)]
0x40083ef1 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40083ef1 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x4025bbb1 in pthread_kill () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#2  0x4025bf2b in raise () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#3  0x40083b24 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
#4  0x400853fd in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
#5  0x409f9954 in __cxa_call_unexpected () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#6  0x409f9991 in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#7  0x409f9b01 in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#8  0x409b2e0c in std::__throw_out_of_range () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#9  0x409e969f in std::string::_M_check () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#10 0x409e9d9c in std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >::basic_string ()
    from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
#11 0x41dbe12e in db_version (str1=
         {static npos = 4294967295, _M_dataplus = {<std::allocator<char>> =
{<No data fields>}, _M_p = 0x40a1ecac ""}, static _S_empty_rep_storage = {0, 0,
6, 0}}) at main.cpp:920
#12 0x41dbe72a in open_database (desc=0x81afb80, charset=0x81afba0) at main.cpp:969
#13 0x4001a095 in DB_Open () from /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
#14 0x4001a987 in CCONNECTION_open () from /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
#15 0x0804de32 in ?? ()
#16 0x081afb70 in ?? ()
#17 0x08074fc8 in ?? ()
#18 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#19 0xbfffe898 in ?? ()
#20 0x0804e0c4 in ?? ()
#21 0x4001a939 in CCONNECTION_version () from /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

The library can't connect to the db server because I've faked a problem on port
3050, the same problem that I actually had before discovering it :)

If all parameters are set correctly (login, pw etc.) and there are no
connection problems everything seems to run just fine.

Ciao,
Piero

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> On 08/10/2005 14:35, Daniel wrote:
>
>> this code is for the 2.4.4 ibpp library (README)
>> 1)dowload the last version and install it and also the ibpp.h header
>> 1.a) do ldconfig
>> 2) rename the directory gb.db.firebird in gb.db.firebird.ok and untar
>> unzip the file in attachement
>> 3) reconfig + ./configure ... etc (the makefile.am in src is modif.
>> to -fexecptions)
>> 4) a small prayer
>

> Ok, upgraded ibpp to 2.4.4, the compilation now runs smoothly.
> However, exceptions still don't seem to work properly and the program
> stops unexpectedly by raising signal #6.
>
> Following Benoit's suggestion, here's a backtrace of the stack when
> the program stops:
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> [Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 7383)]
> 0x40083ef1 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x40083ef1 in kill () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1  0x4025bbb1 in pthread_kill () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
> #2  0x4025bf2b in raise () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
> #3  0x40083b24 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #4  0x400853fd in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #5  0x409f9954 in __cxa_call_unexpected () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #6  0x409f9991 in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #7  0x409f9b01 in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #8  0x409b2e0c in std::__throw_out_of_range () from
> /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #9  0x409e969f in std::string::_M_check () from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #10 0x409e9d9c in std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
> std::allocator<char> >::basic_string ()
>    from /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5
> #11 0x41dbe12e in db_version (str1=
>         {static npos = 4294967295, _M_dataplus =
> {<std::allocator<char>> = {<No data fields>}, _M_p = 0x40a1ecac ""},
> static _S_empty_rep_storage = {0, 0, 6, 0}}) at main.cpp:920
> #12 0x41dbe72a in open_database (desc=0x81afb80, charset=0x81afba0) at
> main.cpp:969
> #13 0x4001a095 in DB_Open () from /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
> #14 0x4001a987 in CCONNECTION_open () from
> /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
> #15 0x0804de32 in ?? ()
> #16 0x081afb70 in ?? ()
> #17 0x08074fc8 in ?? ()
> #18 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #19 0xbfffe898 in ?? ()
> #20 0x0804e0c4 in ?? ()
> #21 0x4001a939 in CCONNECTION_version () from
> /usr/local/lib/gambas2/gb.db.so
> Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
>
> The library can't connect to the db server because I've faked a
> problem on port 3050, the same problem that I actually had before
> discovering it :)
>
> If all parameters are set correctly (login, pw etc.) and there are no
> connection problems everything seems to run just fine.
>

> Ciao,
> Piero

i think the line 969 (main.cpp) is the problem !!!
can you remove this line by one   //
desc->version=db_version(con->GetVersion(desc->host, desc->user,
desc->password));
can i see the result of the command in isql
isql>show version;
please
I believe the format of the line is not the same one as for my version

daniel

Re: makefile !!!

pv-4
On 09/10/2005 02:57, Daniel wrote:

> i think the line 969 (main.cpp) is the problem !!!
> can you remove this line by one   //
> desc->version=db_version(con->GetVersion(desc->host, desc->user,
> desc->password));

removing that line helped a lot and much more meaningful messages now show up
on the console.

> can i see the result of the command in isql
> isql>show version;
> please
> I believe the format of the line is not the same one as for my version

This is the output of show version
ISQL Version: LI-V1.5.1.4481 Firebird 1.5

Thanks,
Piero

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> On 09/10/2005 02:57, Daniel wrote:
>
>> i think the line 969 (main.cpp) is the problem !!!
>> can you remove this line by one   //
>> desc->version=db_version(con->GetVersion(desc->host, desc->user,
>> desc->password));
>

> removing that line helped a lot and much more meaningful messages now
> show up
> on the console.
>
>> can i see the result of the command in isql
>> isql>show version;
>> please
>> I believe the format of the line is not the same one as for my version
>

> This is the output of show version
> ISQL Version: LI-V1.5.1.4481 Firebird 1.5
>

> Thanks,
> Piero

ok, connecting to a port != 3050, use the .Port option in Connection
object look like this
  Con1.Host = "localhost" or "MyServer" ... etc
  Con1.Login = "MyName"
  Con1.Password = "MyPassword"
  Con1.Name = "...MyDB.fdb"
  Con1.Type = "firebird"
  Con1.Port = "Number of de Port"
  Con1.Open()
use the file in attachement please to make test
thanks

daniel

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
PV wrote:

> On 09/10/2005 02:57, Daniel wrote:
>
>> i think the line 969 (main.cpp) is the problem !!!
>> can you remove this line by one   //
>> desc->version=db_version(con->GetVersion(desc->host, desc->user,
>> desc->password));
>

> removing that line helped a lot and much more meaningful messages now
> show up
> on the console.
>
>> can i see the result of the command in isql
>> isql>show version;
>> please
>> I believe the format of the line is not the same one as for my version
>

> This is the output of show version
> ISQL Version: LI-V1.5.1.4481 Firebird 1.5
>

> Thanks,
> Piero

ok, connecting to a port != 3050, use the .Port option in Connection
object look like this
  Con1.Host = "localhost" or "MyServer" ... etc
  Con1.Login = "MyName"
  Con1.Password = "MyPassword"
  Con1.Name = "...MyDB.fdb"
  Con1.Type = "firebird"
  Con1.Port = "Number of de Port"
  Con1.Open()
use the file in attachement please to make test
thanks

daniel

Oops forget Attachement :)

On Monday 10 October 2005 00:11, Daniel wrote:

> PV wrote:
> > On 09/10/2005 02:57, Daniel wrote:
> >> i think the line 969 (main.cpp) is the problem !!!
> >> can you remove this line by one   //
> >> desc->version=db_version(con->GetVersion(desc->host, desc->user,
> >> desc->password));
> >
> > removing that line helped a lot and much more meaningful messages now
> > show up
> > on the console.
> >
> >> can i see the result of the command in isql
> >> isql>show version;
> >> please
> >> I believe the format of the line is not the same one as for my version
> >
> > This is the output of show version
> > ISQL Version: LI-V1.5.1.4481 Firebird 1.5
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Piero

> ok, connecting to a port != 3050, use the .Port option in Connection
> object look like this
>   Con1.Host = "localhost" or "MyServer" ... etc
>   Con1.Login = "MyName"
>   Con1.Password = "MyPassword"
>   Con1.Name = "...MyDB.fdb"
>   Con1.Type = "firebird"
>   Con1.Port = "Number of de Port"
>   Con1.Open()
> use the file in attachement please to make test
> thanks
>
> daniel
>
> Oops forget Attachement :)

Can you add the date in the package name, each time you send a source package,
please? Very useful when I have to pick the last one :-)

Do you know if there are binary packages of the ibpp library from the
mandriva? Without them, I will have to compile it from sources, and it will
prevent gambas2 for being integrated inside the mandriva distribution...

Benoit Minisini

Re: makefile !!!

Laurent Carlier
Benoit Minisini a écrit :

> Do you know if there are binary packages of the ibpp library from the
> mandriva? Without them, I will have to compile it from sources, and it will
> prevent gambas2 for being integrated inside the mandriva distribution...
>
> Regards,

Here ?
http://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/official/current/i586/media/contrib/

firebird-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
 firebird-client-embedded-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
  firebird-devel-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm

Laurent Carlier
jabber : [hidden email]

Re: makefile !!!

Benoît Minisini
On Monday 10 October 2005 00:43, Laurent Carlier wrote:

> Benoit Minisini a écrit :
> > Do you know if there are binary packages of the ibpp library from the
> > mandriva? Without them, I will have to compile it from sources, and it
> > will prevent gambas2 for being integrated inside the mandriva
> > distribution...
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Here ?
> http://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/official/c
>urrent/i586/media/contrib/
>
> firebird-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
>  firebird-client-embedded-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
>   firebird-devel-1.5.2.4731-0.2mdk.i586.rpm

No, I want the ibpp library!

--
Benoit Minisini

Re: makefile !!!

Daniel-22
Benoit Minisini wrote:

>On Monday 10 October 2005 00:11, Daniel wrote:
>

>>PV wrote:

>>>removing that line helped a lot and much more meaningful messages now
>>>show up
>>>on the console.

>>>This is the output of show version
>>>ISQL Version: LI-V1.5.1.4481 Firebird 1.5
>>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>Piero

>>ok, connecting to a port != 3050, use the .Port option in Connection
>>object look like this
>>  Con1.Host = "localhost" or "MyServer" ... etc
>>  Con1.Login = "MyName"
>>  Con1.Password = "MyPassword"
>>  Con1.Name = "...MyDB.fdb"
>>  Con1.Type = "firebird"
>>  Con1.Port = "Number of de Port"
>>  Con1.Open()
>>use the file in attachement please to make test
>>thanks
>>
>>daniel
>>
>>Oops forget Attachement :)
>>

>Can you add the date in the package name, each time you send a source package,

good idee

>please? Very useful when I have to pick the last one :-)
>
>Do you know if there are binary packages of the ibpp library from the

sorry,
no any time in sources "easy to complie and setup"

>mandriva? Without them, I will have to compile it from sources, and it will
>prevent gambas2 for being integrated inside the mandriva distribution...
>
>Regards,

daniel

Re: makefile !!!

Laurent Carlier
Benoit Minisini a écrit :

> No, I want the ibpp library!

Oups, sorry !

Here a src rpm, not for mandriva but should not be too hard to adapt the
spec file...

ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/2.0/PLD/SRPMS/SRPMS/ibpp-2.3.5.0-2.src.rpm

Laurent Carlier
jabber : [hidden email]

12