odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
the odbc gambas connection supports DSN-less mode? i mean, all the settings
into the gambas code, no need of ini files

i remenber that this are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was
made to support
the so-called "Connection Strings".

i can update the documentation but i wish to know if are available in
gambas 3.9.0 at leas

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc

for the missing image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a text
only

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
well in my svn version of 3.9 are working.. but i dont know if are
available in 3.9.0 officially

also noted that code must configure only host and type, if any other are
configured connection will fail

> the odbc gambas connection supports DSN-less mode? i mean, all the
> settings into the gambas code, no need of ini files
>
> i remenber that this are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was made
> to support the so-called "Connection Strings".
>
> i can update the documentation but i wish to know if are available in
> gambas 3.9.0 at leas
>
> http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc
>
> for the missing image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a
> text only
>

> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

zxMarce
Piccoro,

Using ODBC via ConnectionString needs only the Connection.Type (so that
gambas knows it should use the ODBC component) and Connection.Host (for
the connection data) properties correctly set.

The component will, first and foremost, scan the .Host property looking
for semicolons (";"). If it finds at least one, it will assume the
property holds a ConnStr.
If there are no semicolons, it will connect as it always did, with a
DSN. Otherwise, it will use the ConnStr in .Host to call ODBC's
SQLDriverConnect() function.
But when the component calls that ODBC function, no other (gambas)
component properties are used, and thus are ignored. It is assumed that
all necessary data to connect is present in the ConnStr.

If the component fails to connect when other (gambas) component
properties are set, it could be something I did no foresee. Please
elaborate and I'll try to see if I can fix it.

zxMarce

On 23/05/17 14:01, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:

> well in my svn version of 3.9 are working.. but i dont know if are available in 3.9.0 officially
> also noted that code must configure only host and type, if any other are configured connection will fail
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> the odbc gambas connection supports DSN-less mode? i mean, all the settings into the gambas code, no need of ini files i remenber that this are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was made to support the so-called "Connection Strings".
>> i can update the documentation but i wish to know if are available in gambas 3.9.0 at leas http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc for the missing image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a text only
>> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
>> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
hi Ml/zxMarce this feature are available officially in the normal 3.9.X
release and up? i use the svn and i dont know if !

> Piccoro,
>
> Using ODBC via ConnectionString needs only the Connection.Type (so that
> gambas knows it should use the ODBC component) and Connection.Host (for
> the connection data) properties correctly set.
>
> The component will, first and foremost, scan the .Host property looking
> for semicolons (";"). If it finds at least one, it will assume the
> property holds a ConnStr.
> If there are no semicolons, it will connect as it always did, with a
> DSN. Otherwise, it will use the ConnStr in .Host to call ODBC's
> SQLDriverConnect() function.
> But when the component calls that ODBC function, no other (gambas)
> component properties are used, and thus are ignored. It is assumed that
> all necessary data to connect is present in the ConnStr.
>
> If the component fails to connect when other (gambas) component
> properties are set, it could be something I did no foresee. Please
> elaborate and I'll try to see if I can fix it.
>
> zxMarce
>
> On 23/05/17 14:01, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> > well in my svn version of 3.9 are working.. but i dont know if are
> available in 3.9.0 officially
> > also noted that code must configure only host and type, if any other are
> configured connection will fail
> > Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> > http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

> >> the odbc gambas connection supports DSN-less mode? i mean, all the
> settings into the gambas code, no need of ini files i remenber that this
> are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was made to support the so-called
> "Connection Strings".
> >> i can update the documentation but i wish to know if are available in
> gambas 3.9.0 at leas http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc for the missing
> image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a text only
> >> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> >> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

zxMarce
It should; as far as I know nobody sent any further patches to the ODBC
component other than me...

On 23/05/17 14:59, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:

> hi Ml/zxMarce this feature are available officially in the normal 3.9.X
> release and up? i use the svn and i dont know if !
>
> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> Piccoro,
>>
>> Using ODBC via ConnectionString needs only the Connection.Type (so that
>> gambas knows it should use the ODBC component) and Connection.Host (for
>> the connection data) properties correctly set.
>>
>> The component will, first and foremost, scan the .Host property looking
>> for semicolons (";"). If it finds at least one, it will assume the
>> property holds a ConnStr.
>> If there are no semicolons, it will connect as it always did, with a
>> DSN. Otherwise, it will use the ConnStr in .Host to call ODBC's
>> SQLDriverConnect() function.
>> But when the component calls that ODBC function, no other (gambas)
>> component properties are used, and thus are ignored. It is assumed that
>> all necessary data to connect is present in the ConnStr.
>>
>> If the component fails to connect when other (gambas) component
>> properties are set, it could be something I did no foresee. Please
>> elaborate and I'll try to see if I can fix it.
>>
>> zxMarce
>>
>> On 23/05/17 14:01, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
>>> well in my svn version of 3.9 are working.. but i dont know if are
>> available in 3.9.0 officially
>>> also noted that code must configure only host and type, if any other are
>> configured connection will fail
>>> Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
>>> http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com

>> settings into the gambas code, no need of ini files i remenber that this
>> are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was made to support the so-called
>> "Connection Strings".
>> gambas 3.9.0 at leas http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc for the missing
>> image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a text only

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
ok thanks.. great work.. please i'll watch over the póssibility to
workaround over the count and max misc!

> >> If the component fails to connect when other (gambas) component
> >> properties are set, it could be something I did no foresee. Please
> >> elaborate and I'll try to see if I can fix it.

it fails, i'll send a gambas bug report later.. i just test it and works
like a charm..

by example:

  $conexionodbc = New Connection
  $conexionodbc.Type = "odbc"
  $conexionodbc.Host =
"Driver=FreeTDS;TDS_Version=5.0;Server=10.10.200.10;Port=2638;UId=dba;Pwd=sql;Database=sybase"

  $conexionodbc.Pass =  "sql" ' this are right passwd but its property
configure later
  Try $conexionodbc.Open ' then here will fail due the set pass property
later

that piece of code will fail due the pass property set after the string
connection

unless that every works perfect! and i writing some docs in gambaswiki,
plea take a view later for spell chek.. (u know what i taking about ...)

> >> zxMarce

> >> available in 3.9.0 officially
> are
> >> configured connection will fail

> >:
> >> settings into the gambas code, no need of ini files i remenber that this
> >> are, since Gambas 3.8.1, IIRC, gb.db.odbc was made to support the
> so-called
> >> "Connection Strings".
> >> gambas 3.9.0 at leas http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc for the
> missing
> >> image cache i can sustituye and upload newer or made a text only

Re: odbc dsn-less support or "connection strings" and documentation status?

PICCORO McKAY Lenz
i update the odbc documentation:

odbc documentation was update by me and splited for better:

* Overall odbc related: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/odbc
* ODBC specific like the Mysql howto (WIP):
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/odbcdatabase
* notes in connection class doc:
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.db/connection
* notes in connection class host property:
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.db/_connection/host

and send the bug of string connection but with lower priority